Monday, December 27, 2010

Clearing the Tabletops!

Since our dear friend Marty said anything goes today for Tabletop Tuesday I've decided to show you my after holiday peculiarity.  First off, you need to know I totally love Christmas and everything about it!  I love all the festive decorating and really enjoy pulling out all my Santa's and all the other whimsical and glittery decor associated with the season.  However, when I put out quite a bit as I did this year it really does begin to overwhelm me and I'm often ready to break it down very soon after the holidays.

But...we have a tradition in our house to leave the tree up until new years.  It took me several years to realize that just because I didn't want the tree to come down didn't mean I wasn't ready for everything else to be put up.  So as I promised to reveal to you, here is my quirky holiday peculiarity.   I take things down in stages!  Yes, I am a bit of a procrastinator.  I break it all down a little at a time.  Today I removed a good bit of the holiday decor.  Gone are all the Santa's, the bows, balls, and greenery.  Now I can sit back and enjoy the holidays for a bit more without feeling the red and green overload. 
The den feels so much larger now.  Whew!  I can see my mantle again too!  I love it!

I moved this secretary that we had in the dining room awhile back in the den now.  It had been in the Mr.'s office after we got the new china hutch but I've changed my mind and moved back here in the den instead.  I really wanted to store my crystal back in here again so I'll have more room in the china cabinet for china.

Off came the red and green ribbons and away went all the Christmas balls and gingerbread men on this tray.  In it's place remains a simple candle arrangement with my country duck basket to hold all the remotes.  The Mr. sure loves this arrangement!

The kitchen is no longer a candy wonderland but still has just a few holiday touches.


My side table no longer reminds me of the Night Before Christmas, instead it holds a few of my newest holiday gifts.

In the dining room all the extra holiday dishes and serve ware are packed away along with all the glittery balls and greenery hanging everywhere.

A simple silver tray holds plenty of left over candy..any takers?

I feel so much more relaxed now, and ready to face tomorrows adventures, returns and after holiday sales!
That's how I roll y'all, how about you?  How do you break it all down.  Do you drag it out like me or do you take it all down quickly in one swoop?

I know I am a bit late today but I'm linking to Metamorphosis Monday also.  This is one change I always look forward to every year.
Don't you?

Mary

 

23 comments:

  1. Not to mention the house feels clean again. I have been doing the same thing today Mary, and actually I do it the same way you do. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also take things down in stages -- I've been putting away the Christmas dishes and linens today -- I'll try to have most stuff down by the weekend -- I may leave my dining room tree up for an extra week -- I'm toying with the idea of a Valentine's tree.....haven't decided quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also put it away in stages. I haven't done much taking down yet since my daughter and SIL will be here tomorrow for our celebration. I will then start with the decorations on the tables and end with the trees. My New Years tradition is to take down the main tree while I watch the Rose Parade and football. I get to enjoy some of the decorations but start to simplify!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! So nice to know I'm not alone in the "little by little" department! I do that when I put it all up and I do that when I take it all back down again. It just makes it so much easier and less overwhelming. Plus with little ones there is no way I could have the house that crazy all at once! And by the way, your den is just beautiful and I love your mantel! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sitting here smiling. You do exactly what I do! Break down the Christmas in little bits and pieces. All day today, I took down the music boxes, candle rings, bright red and green placemats and table decor. But I left behind some of my more calmer winter decor and my home has an open cleaner look. I will leave the tree and lit garlands up till Sunday and then all we be gone till next year. Let's here it for being quirky!...LOL Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am ready to take everything down too. But I also leave up the tree until New Years Day. I love your trees. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I have almost finished taking all mine down including trees. I will finish tomorrow. I am like you by Christmas I am ready for it to be put up. I think I will scale way back next year. Just too much work. Getting too old to keep putting out so much stuff. The house does feel more open and brighter once all that stuff is put up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll take mine down this weekend -- at least the trees, figurines, etc. But since my snowmen aren't "Christmasy" I may leave them up awhile longer. After all, it's Winter! I always feel like the house is a little bare when the decorations come down... I've often wondered how long my trees could stay up before I got tired of them -- but I never intend to find out! Since the decorations "have to come down sometime," I prefer to get it done by New Years or a couple of days after. Looks like you're way ahead of me and can start enjoying the relaxation of January. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats the most terrible thing I think, atleast for me, I wanted a JINNIE at that time... I wish I have... yours look so clean and organized...
    Wish you a very Happy New Year
    I would love if you come to visit me at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good Mary, lovin' the glass on the stand! All of the Christmas things will be put away Fri/Sat then I bring out some snowmen that I've collected and decorate my feather tree for Valentine's Day. It's fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do it all in one swoop! I actually removed the Christmas Decor on Sunday. Re-set my table in a white, gray and pink theme, de-decorated my office Monday at work.....ready to get back to my old routine. :)

    Your home is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean, Mary. I'm getting to the point {just yesterday really} when I wanted to start putting decorations away. I did pack up my Christmas dishes so I felt like I accomplished something but I'm hoping to get the bulk of it done over the weekend. I'll probably do a few things here and there though since I'm taking a snow day today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I take down in stages also. We may take the trees down before new years, this year, if the weather improves. We really need to make a run to the lake. It's been almost two months since we were there. If we do that, the trees will be down before the 31st.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary, yes, I'm a "take it down in stages" kind of gal, too. The kitchen just got undecorated and all the countertops are wiped down. Sine we always have a cut tree, we usually take it down and leave the mantel for a while, because the tree is usually pretty dry. However, this year's tree is still great and has a wonderful smell, so I may try your technique. Linda (p.s. I am thinking of painting my kitchen chairs black like yours (or white). Do you like the black?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how your house feels brand new again after taking down all the Christmas stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always ready to put up Christmas the day after Thanksgiving but I want it down early too and that's what I've been doing today. Although I'm not finished I have a good start. Only thing is, it makes me want a new look and that means shopping for something different, but my blogging friends will supply the ideas I'm sure. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep everyting up until the New year-really not sure why My friends all start the day after Christmas :-) We all will soon be making projects for Valentine's day

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also take down in stages. I got my tree out (because it was dying!) and left the banister decorations. I put up MOST of the other stuff but every time I go in a room I find more Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. May your New Year be filled with many Blessings and abundances of Joy for 2011. From my mountain to yours, Until next year
    Hugs and Smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just found your blog through Tabletop Tuesday, and I'll definitely return. I love the pictures of your home. I too take my holiday decor down in stages. Right now the tree is still up and a few strands of white lights, but the very un-subtle, in-your-face Christmas stuff is packed away. I like changing the house back to normal, but I always hate taking down the outdoor lights. I love all that bright color!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting that you mention taking it down in stages... I was thinking that I would do the same this year.... I don't usually take it all down until the weekend after New Years... but it does get soooooo overwhelming! Your home is so pretty!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love putting the decorations up and then I can't wait to get them down. You are right, everything looks twice as big with it all packed away. Your home is gorgeous. Now to start in on some simplier vignettes. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!