Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Years Day Dinner

Our New Years didn't come in with a bang, it came in rather peacefully actually.  It was a very busy day with taking down all the Christmas trees and lights outside then all the clean up.  Despite all the hard work, we even managed to enjoy our annual New Years dinner of Hopping John and Collards. 

Being Southern, this is a dish that I have been accustomed to having on New Years day for eva! 

 There are many legends surrounding the choice of these foods in particular.  Basically it is the black eyed peas that are so lucky.  There are legends about the black eyed peas that go back as far as the war between the North and South and the availability of these foods to the confederate soldiers.   There are legends regarding the availability of these foods to the slaves surrounding the time of the emancipation.  I really don't have any big concerns about knowing exactly where it all started, I just know why I should eat these foods so I do.
 
The black eyed peas are key, they are supposed to be lucky!  Eaten on New Years day they will bring you luck and prosperity.  Prosperity because they resemble coins, the more coins you eat on the first day of the new year the more coins you will receive that year as well.  Hopping John is a mixture of black eyed peas, sausages, ham hocks, and spices served over rice.  It is a southern dish that is native to South Carolina from the low country.   There are many legends surrounding how this dish got it's name as well as the tradition of eating this dish on new years day.  We eat it because apart from tradition I actually like it.  There are many variations to making Hoppin John which makes it so appealing to me, since you basically can come up with your own version after using the essential ingredients. I have my own version that I make in a crock pot, that simmers all day.  Then, it is very easily served over rice in the evening.  Perfect for a busy New Years day, wouldn't you say!


Somewhere along the same lines the legend also goes that collards will bring prosperity and good health as well.  Collards eaten on new years day represent, folded money, or green money..dollar bills!  Good health because, let's face it, collards are really good for you even if they do preform quite a number on your digestive system.  LOL!  I am not a fan of collards!  I have in years past substituted spinach for this part of the legend on New Years day.  However, after a year of not having a job and any personal income I decided I would suck it up and eat my collards this year.  How bad can it be?


I set the table very simply this year since it was just the three of us for dinner.  It was actually very nice to have a simple stress free dinner on this day too.

As you can see, I pulled out the Franciscan Ivy again.  I find I am using this more and more as our everyday china.

No big glitzy setting here, just simple homegood elegance.

Hey, maybe since I used this china on New Years day it will mean my garden will grow abundantly this year too! 



My centerpiece is very simple here also.



In case your wondering, I chose this centerpiece because it's functional.  My casserole dish doesn't just look good there on the lazy susan.

I actually filled it with the collards.  I knew some of us would not be eating these, so they were optional for the bravest of the three of us.

Here's my sons dish, he didn't go for the collards.  Too bad for him!

Here's my dish.  Now hold on there, I know what your thinking, I ate some collards too...

See!  I chose to put mine in the little fruit bowls, on the side.  I didn't want those collards touching my Hoppin John you know!

Yum!  It really was delicious, and I feel so much more relieved to have insured my prosperity for one more year!  :)))

I hope you'll stop by Tablescape Thursday to see many more ways ways you really could set a beautiful table.

Thanks for visiting Today!  I hope you enjoyed your visit. 
Do you have any New Years day traditions?  I would love to hear them, drop me a note.
Happy New Year Friends!
Mary


12 comments:

  1. I would say that I would love to join you, but... I hate greens and beans or peas of any kind!!! My parents always made me eat a and I repeat A black eyed pea on New Year's! Ugggghhhhh! So glad to hear you had a great Christmas and New Year's! May this year be blessed for you and your family, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Green is my theme color for this year, all the GREEN color just popped out at me on this table. I love the way your son's plate looked in particular. It was as if the Hoppin' John was sitting in a ring of greens. So... I guess he gets some credit for having greens on his plate for New Years Day.

    I love that ivy pattern.

    Here's an idea for you: Try collards in a green smoothie. That's the only way I can eat them so that's what I do.

    Hoping that this year is FULL of prosperity for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that our young ones don't dare to try anything nowadays, right? Collards is one of the best veges I love.

    Great start of the year. Nothing wrong with black eyed peas on NY's day, ain't it?

    Happy TS...

    Greetings from chilly Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table looks beautiful and the food delicious. I love collard greens, especially with a little bacon mixed in. We don't do the bean thing on New Years Day but I'd like to try it. Great job, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is beautiful Mary. I love black eyed peas and greens. We like cornbread with ours too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so warm and welcoming. I do love those dishes. I think simple is the perfect way to start off the new year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I eat my black eyed peas and collard greens EVERY year for fear of going broke! I hated the peas until about 8 years ago when a friend showed me how to cook them with lots of flavor. He told me to add lots of crushed fresh garlic, chopped onion, diced celery, and a little red pepper. The same goes for the collards: they require several garlic bulbs in the water while cooking along with salt, pepper, a pinch of red pepper and a bit of onion powder. My Mom serves them with green onions and tomatoes on the side. I just douse them in Louisiana hot sauce! I hope you get the intended results from eating the greens this year!!! :-) Oh...one more thing: my great-grandmother always wrapped a fresh collard green leaf around a black eyed pea which she then wrapped in plastic (like Saran Wrap) and put in her purse. She said she was never without money when she did this. So...it is a tradition in our family. I promise it will smell to high heaven for about 2 weeks as it ferments, so you might not want to put it in your purse right away! :-) Eventually, though, the odor goes away and you have a nice little packet that can easily slip into you billfold. I know it's all superstitions, but I've never been without money when I did it! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hate black eyed peas and don't eat them. Love collards but don't cook them. I ate pinto beans & corn bread on New Years day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl that is one southern delicious meal. My husband would eat all of those collards! What a nice table setting too, those dishes just are so versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A peaceful New Years sounds perfect! Hope the rest of 2011 follows in the same way for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Ivy patterned plates! We love collards & black eyed peas~ Wishing you prosperity, health & an abundant garden in the New Year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your simple, but beautiful table...
    Those black-eyed peas and rice look wonderful...I am not crazy about collards, though!
    Happy New Year, Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!