Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Revealing the Bakers Rack!

Finally, the Sun came back out today and I was able to take pictures! It's very hard to get decent pictures on my screened porch on an overcast day so I've been waiting for just the right amount of sunshine.  I want to show you our fantastic bakers rack makeover.   In case you missed my previous post I got a fantastic deal on a bakers rack at a yard sale last Saturday.


This is what it looked like when I brought it home.  It was two different shades of green with flaking paint and rust. As you can also see it was missing the main center shelf.  Ever noticed how they are always missing the center shelves?   I have!  It seems I've looked at several of these for sale that are missing that one shelf.


But I've also looked at many of these that even in this condition they want close to $100.00.  I'm not sure why bakers racks seem to hold so much value but that's basically why I haven't had one until now.  That is until the past weekend when I bought this one for the incredibly low price of  $8.00.  Yes, that's right, you read that right.   I said, $8.00, and I'm not missing any zero's here either!

So, here's my $8.00 bakers rack now!


I apologize for these photos,I still have so much to learn!  I gave it a very good sanding with a wire brush and sandpaper, then 3 cans of black rustoleum semi-gloss protective enamel spray paint.  I wanted to make sure I really coated it well.


It turned out beautiful! I am so pleased!


The Mr. had a wonderful idea to add a piece of our old kitchen counter for the center board.
So now we have a wonderful corian shelf in the center.


He cut it to size himself and did a wonderful job!  It is an off white oyster shell color so to speak with specks.
This is the best close up I could get to show you the coloring.  Looks so good with the black wrought iron!


Of course I could hardly wait to decorate it. 


 I put it on the screen porch in the back for now.  I really wanted to put it on the front porch but my more practical side put in back here so I can use it and see it daily.


First I had to do a little re arranging of my furniture. I moved a larger table out and a smaller table in.  I absolutely love sitting in these chairs in the morning at a table to enjoy my coffee and breakfast so loosing the table was not an option for me.  This is still a nice size for two and I was able to put the rack along the screen wall.  I also had to raise the chandelier to keep from bumping our heads.  LOL!



This is how I have decorated it for now, I am sure this going to be an ever evolving display area.
Fun! Fun! Fun!






Just a few accessories and it's off to a great start!
Another wide shot!  I just can't stop looking at it!  Can you blame me?
Now all I need to do is get to work on the new pillows and tablecloth for this area.
Did I mention how much I love my porch?  I love my PORCH! 


I am linking up with the following parties below.  Please be sure and visit these for more inspirational posts.
Transformation Thursday @ http://www.theshabbychiccottage.net/


Thanks for stopping by..have a great day!

14 comments:

  1. That is awesome Mary....really it looks super black! What a nice home you found for it too:) I can see many of decor changes coming, but what you have now is perfecto!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet hello from Frog Hollow Farm - I popped over from Transformation Thursday! I love what you did with the baker's rack, and now you have a wonderful little buffet to hold some yummy nibbles. You could also set up a small baror dessert table for a party. Cute, cute, cute!! Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Mary, that looks very nice! So you know, we still have the black rack that looks similar to the above rack from the store. Looking to get rid of it, if you know anyone interested? Take care...B.STORK

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great!! I love it on the porch and your makeover was fabulous!!

    The perfect touch!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this baker's rack rescue and the corian counter is genius! It looks gorgeous in that sunny spot and makes me smile. My husband built me a baker's rack and it holds my blue glass in front of out 8' sliding door. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! It turned our fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that baker's rack and your cute sun porch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that was a steal and you did a great job with it!! I had one and donated it. Now I'm wishing I had it back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, what a great transformation! I love the way you accessorized it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty no matter where you place it. It's amazing what a little TLC and black paint will do. Add your favorite collectibles and it becomes a treasure. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can not believe someone sold this for only $8. What a steal and it looks amazing now that you have spruced it up. Enjoy it!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great find and it turned out beautifully! You've inpired me to maybe clean up a black metal bench I have and respray it black. {It's got some rust and flaking going on}. Love the buffet piece in your dining room, too.

    I've been enjoying looking through your blog and I am now a follower. Thanks for posting my giveaway on your sidebar! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have that same baker's rack! My prob is that one of the pieces of the wine rack is missing. I think it may have accidentally gotten trashed! I was trying to figure out if I wanted to sell it or redo it - your post has made me decide to paint it and use it similar to how you are using yours! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!