Monday, May 3, 2010

It's The "REAL" Kitchen Bar

In December I started a designated bar area in our house.  During the holidays it's always necessary to have an easy access area to locate your adult beverages.  It is a work in progress, and almost done, minus the wine cooler.   Here it is so far! 

This was our kitchen desk area!  It is directly across from the office which is located off the kitchen.  So it is never used as a desk, previously only as a catch all for junk!


While clearing all the clutter, I decided I would set up the bar here for the holidays!  Why not?  It's in a very central location in our kitchen.  I also noticed the size of the space for our desk chair is about the same size as a wine cooler.  Well, after searching around, I found out the size is wide enough but just a bit short.  I am thinking we will need to raise the desk top some and loose the drawer.  The Mr. just mentioned last night perhaps we may only need to loose the drawer, so as I said it's still a work in progress, but a very exciting one none the less.  Stay tuned for that part, it may be a bit longer on that, but will be worth the wait!


Meanwhile, last week had me stopping by Goodwill to see what I could find and I came across this for $1.50.  I snapped it right up! Wasn't crazy about the silver metal look, but I knew I would paint it and use it at various times and could add floral or ribbons and such to spruce it up.



So, I sanded it a bit and spray painted it white!  Turned out pretty good!  Question was, did I really want to stick it in a cabinet to wait on company?  No!  I left it sitting on the "bar" and then it hit me, why not a bar caddy?



 So, I pulled out a few of my bar extras and then added a few more, like these stirrers from the dollar tree!  Too cute!  I even remembered the wine markers I had, a gift from my sister in law a few years ago.  They make the perfect jewelry for the caddy while waiting on a glass.  Don't you think?



Well, this finally got my husband inspired enough to hang the acrylic wine rack I bought a month or so ago from Bed, Bath and Beyond.  Trouble was we had a light under the cabinet that was holding us back until I noticed we had enough room to shift it over and still hang the rack.  So, he got right to it!  Now I get to keep my everyday wine glasses secured and within easy reach.  I'm lovin it!

 Eventually, I hope to add the perfect ice bucket when I find it.  And I suppose some more liquor wouldn't be a bad idea either. 

 Since I'm a wine and beer girl, I  really don't drink much liquor, so I'm not even sure what all I should keep on hand here, and what is essential.  Feel free to leave a comment on that one too! Whew, it's late!  Time for a nightcap, thanks for dropping by!



I'm joining the following parties below, be sure and check more fun blogs at:
http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/ for Tabletop Tuesday
http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/ for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
http://www.reinventedkb.com/ for Trash to Treasure Reinvented

As always I love to hear from you, leave me a comment if you please!

13 comments:

  1. I also have an area in my kitchen, a bit smaller than yours, that I have designated as "the Bar". Stop by on wednesday to see how I covered my electrical/telephone plugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice bar area. Everything is right there where you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, perfect use of a wasted space! Good score on the caddy! I like it white!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is brilliant and my husband will be so jealous when you get a wine cooler. He wants one so bad, but we just don't have space for one! He can just drool over yours! Love the caddy! Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a terrific re-use for a kitchen desk! Great idea. It really IS nice to have a centralized spot for the "grownup beverages" at a party, or just for everyday use.

    Love the little caddy, especially all decked out with its "earrings." :-)

    I think I have almost those same blue wineglasses. Love them. Also love the cork collection; I keep meaning to do that.
    (But then we'd have to stop buying screwtop wine...hahahahaha!)
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this is such a lovely and creative idea. I love the way you have assembled everything and created such a beautiful vignette with all the essentials for a party. The vase with all the corks is so pretty too. Love the new little caddy and it is perfect to hold all of your accessories. So clever. Thanks so much for joining the party. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very smart to use the space in a more functional way!

    Thanks so much for stopping by yesterday to comment on my tiered terracotta planter. I really appreciate it!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now THAT is a good use of space:) I like the corks in the glass, very cute! Your caddy looks much better white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful! Since we moved we don't have a 'bar' area in our kitchen and I really miss it. I'm inspired now to create one. I really like the corks in the jar thingy, and those greenish wine glasses look great with the other wine glasses. Painging the little cagey thing for the stir stick was a great idea - I always bring those things home and never know what to do with them! And the napkins on the raised plate - perfect. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'd like some of that wine, the bar looks so inviting. Have you thought about a wine cooler? perhaps one under neath the desk? Target carries some pretty cool ones:

    http://www.target.com/s/179-5887587-8948865?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=wine%20coolers&ref=sr_bx%5F1%5F1&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchPage=1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gin, vodka, bourbon and rum...plus mixers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luv how you have used this space...looks GREAT!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever and I like the hanging glasses!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!