Sunday, October 10, 2010

SC Silver Displays

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in our town and I got to spend it with two of my favorite men, my husband and my youngest son wandering around the state museum.  There was a harvest festival at the museum with arts and crafts, BBQ, music and several special exhibits. 

Then as if that wasn't wonderful enough we spent the late afternoon and evening getting caught up in the excitement watching the game on TV as our Gamecocks defeated the #1 team in the country in the SEC!  Woohoo!   Anyone that knows me well, also knows I am not really a football fan, but I just had to give a quick shout out to our home team!  Go Cocks!!!  We have now pulled off a major trifecta win in 2010 defeating number #1 teams in the nation in basketball, baseball and now football!  Woohoo!  That's something to be proud of here and long awaited. Woot-woot!   

Now for those of you have patiently waited for me to return to my point let me show you a little surprise I found at the museum yesterday.  I had no idea this exhibit was there until I stumbled upon it.  I am thrilled to be able to share this with you  today for Silver Sunday.  I am sure you will enjoy this as much as I did.

Can you imagine how excited I was to find this room?  This exhibit is not a permanent display and is running only through January 2011.  It is a wonderful display of silver from several South Carolina families and collectors that shows the artistry and craftsmanship used in these beautiful pieces made between 1750-1935.


This is what I saw when I walked into this room.


I was so thrilled, but I was wishing I had much more time to linger in this room then I did.  By the time I found this room it was getting late and the men were ready to leave.  I got my camera out so I could enjoy it later again and again.  I wish I had time to read all the captions in each display but I didn't, so you will just have to enjoy these visually as I do not have much info to share with you.


These pitchers were the very first thing I saw when I knew my camera had to come out.  Aren't they just gorgeous?  I just love the rope detail of the handles.




There were several cases featuring older and more unusual flatware.


I do remember this was listed as a men's breakfast silver setting.  I am assuming for the finer gentlemen of the day.




Gorgeous soup tureen!


These two pieces were owned by a Georgia family who had some family with SC connections. 


I tried to photograph the Palmetto tree on the tops for you, please pardon the glare of the silver.


I was quite amazed to see that there are older pieces of silver where the Palmetto tree was attached.  It is our state tree and is quite popular amongst those who live here.  You can find it on just about everything!


This coffee pot really caught my attention with it's beautiful hand carved wooden handle.


This set was positively stunning!  I just adore the ornate design, I think it was from Charleston.


Just look at all that beautiful detail! Gorgeous, isn't it?

The following two photos were not part of the silver room but were in separate displays elsewhere in the museum.  They are permanent displays.


This was a set presented to a S.C. woman after the death of her husband, who was a Lt. Col. in the war. 


This beautiful piece was presented to Andrew Jackson from the women of S.C. after his win in the battle of New Orleans.  It had been willed by him back to the family of a SC soldier upon his death. 

I found it rather interesting how much silver was presented and even used back in the older days of history.  I am sure many of you who have collected silver for some time already knew that though.  Seeing these beautiful displays all together really brings home the history of silver in our state.

If you enjoyed this post, please be sure and stop by Silver Sunday for more beautiful posts of silver.
Thanks for visiting today!  Have a Blessed Sunday afternoon!
Mary

20 comments:

  1. Very interesting, Mary! How lucky you were to stumble upon this and it's perfect for Silver Sunday. How I'd love to own a couple of these pieces!!

    Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, such gorgeous and intricate pieces. It's a shame people don't use their silver anymore. Me either. I need to remember to use mine. Love it. Thanks for the tour, it was all lovely to see. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, this is a stunning exhibit! Hmmm... I wonder if I can squeeze in a trip to SC before the end of January... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you could have spent hours, admiring such Beautiful Treasures ~ But, Football is Pretty Important in the Fall.... Thanks for Sharing they Gems
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous collection. Some great pieces. I love the soup tureen. I haven't seen a silver one before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! Think of all the beautiful vignettes and tablescapes you could do with all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing displays. Makes me want to reach out and feel the silver. You were lucky to find that exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great site you have and what fun displays!

    Thank you so much for such an awesome comment on my site and you cracked me up! Piggly Wiggly must seem so normal to you...hehe...I went to college in NC, but we didn't have any near me that I ever saw and then I spent many of my years in NJ...so your cousin and I must be sharing the same excitement! :)

    You are too sweet and I love that you stopped by!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. couldn't have asked for a better collection...how lucky of you to find it.
    thanks for playing along see you next month!
    hugs
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart rate just went over 100....what a breathtaking display! What spectacular pieces!
    I'm SO glad you had your camera on hand.

    I must send this link to all my Southern Belle friends so they can enjoy it too.

    Thanks for sharing & also for your sweet comments on my blog today.
    Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a stunning display of silver. I hadn't heard of that museum. I love the palmetto tree.
    It was a great win for the Cocks this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! what an amazing post! i would love to visit this display, it is too cool! thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful display of silver! Everything looks so exquisite. I would have spent hours there. Thanks for sharing!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow ... look at that gorgeous silver! I love the water pitchers ... and, that soup tureen!! We may have to take a trip there ourselves! And, yay for the Gamecocks. We are surrounded by tried and true USC fans ... may just join the bandwagon. lol Have a great day, *Becca* (And, THANK YOU for your sweet note about my sitting room, re-do)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful find.
    Such a beautiful display of silver

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mary,
    thank you so much for this gorgeous visit. I had never thought that I will visit a silver exhibition in a museum on Silver-Sunday. It was really exiting to see your photos. But I couldn't discover where the museum is. Anyway, thank you so much. For me as a silver collector it is always interesting to see such things.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful photos Mary. Neat place...great silver, and great history behind!!~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what a stunning display of silver!
    Just gorgeous.

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, these are just gorgeous, and I loved looking at them. Loyalty tempts me to say that I like the Georgia one the best, but in truth I think that tureen is my favorite specific piece. Of course, there were so many beautiful things, I can hardly pick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a gorgeous exhibit! Silver is so beautiful! I just don't like to polish it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!