Sunday, October 3, 2010

Front Door Makeover


Last week was a very busy week.  Along with finding a new china cabinet I completed a project I have been wanting to do for some time.  I admit I was spurred into action to repaint my front door with the wonderful drop of cooler temps and a hardy dose of front door envy.    After seeing so many of you transform your doors into something you are proud of I decided it was time for me to just do it!

This is how my front door looked prior to the new paint job.  It is missing the door knocker in this photo because I took it off to repaint it with ORB.

It was a nice tan color that really complimented our house very well.  I have been wanting to repaint the front door black for sometime but have been putting it off because this door was painted with oil based paint, and I totally despise oil based paint.  When we bought the house it had green doors that I changed to this color and they were oil based paint, so rather then take the time and effort it would take to go to latex then, I just used oil based paint again.  I vividly remember it was a night mare!  Oil based takes forever to dry and you really have to have just the right temps for it to apply effectively on an outside door.  I vowed never again!

Thus every time I thought I wanted to change the color to black I hesitated because I wasn't ready to face the process.  Last week though, I decided it was high time to bite the bullet and do the ground work!

I am so glad I finally did!  Here is my door all primed and ready for latex now!  I have to say that this step was far easier then I had been imagining.  I guess with the weather being just right it made all the difference.
I also decided to prime the sidelights too since I don't think I have ever painted them since living here and wasn't sure if they were oil based or not.  I let it all dry overnight, then repainted both the front door and my sidelights the next day.  Here is my front porch now, finally finished and ready for the seasons with a fresh coat of paint.

What a nice sharp contrast that black is.  I just love it!

I have left my door handle and lock brass for now.  I would like to either change it out or repaint it.  I painted my door knocker with ORB as a tester to see how well the paint will hold out before I try it on the handle.  You can just barely see the door knocker in this photo.  It is hiding behind my witch sign.  My wreath has seen several seasons already and really needs to be updated but I didn't want to tackle that this year.



For Halloween I take the lazy way out and just hang this little wooden witch on my fall wreath.  Then afterwards I take it off and it's fall again for the rest of the season.


My front poor is a mixture of fall and Halloween right now.  I really don't go all out for Halloween, but I do have a few pieces that I have accumulated over the years, and consider them classics.

My large clay jack-o-lanterns always greet our guests on the way up the stairs.  I also like to put Mums on the opposite steps but just haven't made it out to the garden center yet.



On the left side of my front door, my old washstand got a little fall fix up.



I have a mixture of old Indian corn and faux corn in the window basket.  I would like to find some larger faux gourds, and pumpkins and such to also add, any ideas where?



Of course my sassy Roo wanted the fall fix up too!  You know he has quite easily gotten into the habit of expecting me to give him special attention each season now.  Be careful what you start!


On the right side of the front door a little fall is mixed in with a little Halloween.
I added this bench recently after moving the planters down at the end of the steps, I am loving how it is another great place to add vignettes.  My iron topiary looks great without the old faux ivy leaves and is a great compliment to the large iron topiary I moved up from the back yard.


They both got a little fall treatment and look wonderful next to my grapevine pumpkin and the electric jack-o-lantern.   But look, I think I may have some trouble going on here.  It looks like an old witch must be around.  Surely that stuff doesn't belong to me!  Ahhh,hhaaaa,haaah,hee,hee!  Cackle-cackle!

It's a Metamorphosis Monday, and things are changing fast.  Please be sure and visit more friends for more changes!  Thanks for visiting today!  Have a great day!


24 comments:

  1. Your door, and porch look fantastic!!Everything looks so festive...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think it is so hilarious that we both painted our front doors in the same week! Kindred spirits for sure! Or just both of us being jealous of all the other gorgeous doors out there! :-) Yours looks amazing and I cannot say enough about how much I love your front porch! It is so warm and inviting and that pop of black really just "makes" it! Awesome job!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooooooo jealous!! Now I wish I had my door painted black when the painters were here!! Your door is perfect, stunning!! I love everything about your front porch. You have done a wonderful job with all the fall decor.

    Ahhhh.......your black door......it's so stinkin beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so ready for FALL!!~ Your front door turned out gorgeous in black...makes such a statement now. What cute lil jack o lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I love the new black on the door. You and I have been doing the same thing. I repainted our door this weekend. Love all your fall decor on that wonderful big porch. I have been wanting to paint our brass handle ORB, too but like you am afraid it won't work good enough and will scratch off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful!!! Ready for fall! I need to get more projects done! I found more coordinating fabric on clearance and will finish up my pillows tomorrow. Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now my door is barn red and I so want to paint it black but didn't know what to do with the side window...now I know, thanks so much for posting this, it so inspired me!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your door and side lights look great...I wasn't sure before seeing your after picture...but it turned out so pretty. Your porch and steps are beautifully decorated!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your black front door looks great and makes a great backdrop for your Fall decor! I'm still trying to decide whether to go black or repaint with the same rusty-orange that complements my brick so well. This is the same dilemma I had 5 years ago when we renovated. I suspect I'll go back with the orange since I've been pleased. Wish I didn't have to repaint at all...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your freshly painted door! It is amazing what a difference it makes. All your decorations are so pretty and fallish. Great job!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving the black door...very classy looking! Love all your fall accents, too. Your porch looks so warm and inviting.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just painted our white front door regal red.
    We had black back in the 70s.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll bet you're glad you bit the bullet to paint your front door - it looks fabulous! Love your porch and how your decked it out for fall and Halloween!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your black door looks so pretty and stands out very nicely! I had read before that your front door should be a striking contrast and stand out to welcome your guest! Looks very nice and I like all of your fall and Halloween decor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. In the process of getting a new front door...on order.
    I really like the black .
    It just pops...stunning.
    You are all fallerized and ready.
    xoxo~Kathy @
    Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That makes such an impact! I love the door black! We have a black door and I adore it. My husband wants to get a dark wood, but I just love the black especially as my house is red! Your porch looks fantastic and if I could find your house, I might steal those terracotta pumpkins from your porch! How perfect are those?!?

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful transformation! Your front porch is so welcoming and festive! :) mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow ! Everything looks so nice - welcoming and classic !!!
    thanks for sharing,
    gena
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOH I so love your black front door, I love your decorations and your K is gorgeous as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your front porch turned out so pretty. I love the new paint door color and I love all your fall decor, so warm and inviting.....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE the black! It looks great and your decorations are perfect. Isn't it amazing what a coat of paint can do!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yours came out great! I wish I had a protected area so I didn't need to have the storm door on mine. I really do like a door like yours, although sometimes I do like my storm door to get great breezes coming through the house. I still need to do my hardware. I was thinking Oil Rubbed Bronze, too. Especially since I already have it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think all of your fall decorations look great on the porch, especially the decorative corn on the rooster! That was my favorite part for some reason.

    And I totally agree about the oil based paint. That would be the reason (OK, one of the reasons) that several of my projects around here keep dropping back to the bottom of the pile.

    The door looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your reno'ed black door looks great! Love the striking contrast and of course, it is the perfect season to have black as a backdrop to all the orange!

    DD

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!