Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dining Room Rearrange

There's a warmth in my dining room now that wasn't there before.  My new to me china cabinet has brought in a whole new feeling in this room.  It's not that my dining room wasn't enjoyable before, it's was just more formal then it is now.  Isn't it amazing how one piece of furniture can turn the esscence of room in a different direction?


That is probably one of the elements of decorating that I truly love the most.  I have seen it often in home tours, that one thing that just captures your attention and sets the tone of the room.  Sometimes, it is something unexpected, sometimes it is an obvious signature piece.   Because I am a very visual person I often pick up on it because I really love how that room feels.  When I really like a room I immdiately begin to "look" for what makes me feel that way.  I'm not talking about looking in  room and seeing things you like but I am talking about looking in a room and seeing something that makes you feel a certain way, that's what this china cabinet has done for me.  It has changed the feeling of this room and it's a change I am very pleased with.


So today, for Tabletop Tuesday I'm sharing the changes in this room, that have come about this weekend.  When you rearrange a room all your vignettes get rearranged some too.  I've also added in a few changes for Halloween too!


There's lots more I'd like to achieve here but it's definitely headed in the direction I want to go now.



The first thing I did was to try and create the warmth of fall in my china cabinet display.



Let's take a look inside.






On the top shelf, I started with adding my rooster plates in front of my new Lenox dishes.  I really need to go and find some plate holders to keep these dishes from toppling over.  I don't have grooves on the shelves so I guess I will need to purchase more plate stands.   I would love to hear any tips and tricks you may have, from those of you who display your dishes upright.

Then on the second shelf, I have decided to keep my crystal and add in my newest more casual handblown goblets and a few seasonal decor pieces to balance it out.



On the bottom shelf I have displayed my green wheat dishes and a few serving pieces from my Grandmothers china.  I added a few faux leaves and my cabinet is looking quite festive now.


I also put my basket trio on the top and balanced it out with some pretty faux magnolias.


I moved the marble side table over here where my black cabinet used to be.  I wanted the dining room to continue to have an open feeling of space.


I mixed a little fall decor with Halloween here.









I just love this little tiny witch! 





My large mirror that used to be over the marble table has been moved to this wall.  I miss it being front and center when you look in the dining room but it works really well here.  I love how it picks up the reflection of the windows and outside creating that open feeling that I wanted to keep in this room.

The black side cabinet has been moved here on this wall where the secretary used to be.  I do miss the storage space from the secretary and would have preferred to keep my crystal in there but it was just not working for me in this room any longer.  The pieces I have decided to keep in this room were more important in maintaining the feel that I wanted this room to have, so off the secreatary went to our office. 


I pulled this apple platter out of storage, (forgot I had it) and added one of my friendly ghosts.

Let's take a look at a few corners in this room and then I'll show you my table.


My chairs are staying beside the china cabinet for now but I really will want to reupholster them soon, with a pop of color.  I need to decide which fabric I like best, meanwhile I'll use pillows to add a little more interest.



I finally hung those Vera Bradley plates over here.




My table got a Halloween treat of it's own.



Look what I caught, under my cloche!  Can you see them? 


Amazing what shows up around here this time of year!




I hope you didn't get too spooked.  I think my dining room is quite cozy now, ghosts, goblins and all!



Thanks for visiting today.
Mary

15 comments:

  1. You have done a beautiful job of displaying your dishes Mary! YOUr dining room is certainly looking very warm and welcoming, I would love to have a festive dinner there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary it looks absolutely beautiful. I love the new cabinet and the rearrange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you having too much fun!!! It all looks wonderful! I really like the fall displays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the black cabinet and all the fall & Halloween touches, very nice! XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. It's amazing that even a small change can often change the look and feel of a room.

    I love all you've added to your cabinet and the way the room feels. I still can't believe what a great price you got on that cabinet and it's drop dead gorgeous to boot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks just beautiful girl..loved seeing it all..Now my late hubs put a strip of wood in the back of my cabinets for me so I put put plates up without them sliding down works just great for me..and I didn't have to buy plate stands..Hope you have a GREAT day my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary!! Your dining room is so pretty!! The wall color is gorgeous and so is your furnishings!! Now if you know me, I'm all over those cute Rooster plates!! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dining room is so pretty. I love your gorgeous hutch and your display inside is so pretty. Very well done. Love all of your side tables, they are lovely and your vignettes are gorgeous. Of course I love your cloche and the little ghosts are so cute. You've done a beautiful job. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. You dishes are delightful! The colors of your room are very warm too. Looks great. Thanks for your kind words about my move. It has been trying but it will be over soon. Could you send me your email addy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary! It all just looks so beautiful and I love how you described the feeling you get when you know something is "just right". I always say that it is when it seems like something was always there all along that you know it is "right"! Thanks for sharing all of your gorgeous changes!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Ghost Catcher Cloche :) and I also love blues like your dining room used with autumn colours :)

    congratulations on your beautiful hutch :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so warm and inviting. I love those candlesticks (cream, green, gold)on the console table, are they Southern Living? Your fall decor is awesome. I didn't know Vera Bradley had plates?

    Tks for stopping by and leaving such nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your china cabinet!! I use plate holders to display plates, or you can have a woodworker type (husband) make a groove about 2 inches out across the back to hold the plates. I prefer the plate holders though because they give more versatility. Your grandmother's china looks like my Noritake "Condoro" from the photo. That would be funny if we share another pattern, lol! You have done a great job in this room, and it is so warm and inviting. Ready for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it Mary!
    The china cabinet is just gorgeous! And it does add the warmth and coziness to the room.
    And all of your decorating is so pretty and the room is coming together just so beautifully!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything looks beautiful! Your "new" china cabinet is perfect in your space and looks fab against that gorgeous blue wall! You've decorated it beautifully with your rooster plates, glasses and solid plates. I love the Halloween ghosts in the cloches, too. What time is dinner because I'd love to come and enjoy a meal in this charming room! And, thank you for your sweet note about my Fall tree (yes, I will keep it dressed like this for Xmas ... maybe throw a few more "blingy" ornaments on there ... lol). Take care, Becca

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!