Saturday, October 2, 2010

My new China Cabinet

Happy Birthday to me!    Well, actually my birthday is Sunday, but the timing couldn't have been any better on this gift!

I finally found a china cabinet that I really liked, was priced right, and would fit my style of decor.  I didn't end up getting either of the two I showed you or anything close to my inspiration photo.  I also have spent several days running around checking out many thrift and antique stores for just the right cabinet.  I almost purchased one that was a very good deal in great shape but was more antiquey looking then I really wanted so I talked myself out of that one and decided to wait.  I am so glad I did!


 I have been searching Craigs list for some time as well.  Not just my city, but surrounding cities too.   I had been entering the following words under furniture to search for what I was looking for; china cabinet, china hutch, and hutch.  It only dawned on me recently I probably should try just entering the word; cabinet.  Bingo!  By doing this I brought up many more china cabinets I had not seen because they did not list them as a china cabinet.  Some were listed as just cabinets, kitchen cabinets or dining cabinets.  Well that's how I found the one I purchased.  It was listed as a dining cabinet.   The owner had inherited it from her mother and didn't want it any longer.  She also had very unusual work hours that was making it difficult IMOP for her to get it sold.  She said she had it listed at a higher price and had only lowered it recently.  When I first inquired about it, she said we could come after 7:00pm one night or between 9:30pm and 10pm another night.  Not on Saturday, limited time on Sunday, church hours, and etc.  The Mr. was not about to trek across town after 7:00pm, over 45 minutes away, with a trailer in hopes that this might be the one.  Then he said, if she works that late perhaps she goes in later.  Ask can we come early.  So she said yes, I go to work at 10:00am, can you be here between 8:00 and 8:30am?  LOL!  Hubby said yep, I'll take the morning off.  So off we went yesterday with trailer in tow right in the middle of morning rush hour.  Well, it certainly paid off and this is what we brought home. 




I had every intention of painting this china cabinet black with a distressed finish.  However, the Mr. really likes this cabinet as is and wants me to wait and see how much I like it first.  I'm good with that, but I have to tell you I just went out yesterday and spent a fortune on ALOT of very good black paint from Sherwin Williams, that I've already used on another project I will show you Monday.  LOL!


  There are no cracks,chips or gouches in the wood.  However there is a bit of a problem with one side glass that is cracked, and the two wooden panes were removed because she was going to repair it, then changed her mind.  I have the panes to put back on it as soon as we replace the glass, so that's not an issue.  Compared to what I had been looking at this is a breeze to fix!





I just love the shape of this cabinet and all the details too!

Nice thick moulding on a beautifully arched top.



Interesting detailed moulding!  We think this piece was from Poland because of the paper tags on the back.
That design looks polish to me for some reason.


Yes there is two different tones of wood color here though it is not nearly as dramatic in person as it is on these photos, but you can tell a difference.  Interesting!


I just love bunn feet too!



A nice big chunky key and window paned glass doors.  Although those wooden panes would be quite easy to remove if I decide I do not want them, but they are staying for now.


And the Mr.s favorite part is how well it is made.  It even has these wonderful latches on the opposite door that does not lock with the key on both the top and bottom doors.  Isn't that special!  LOL!



  Now the best part of it all was the price!  Would you believe we purchased this very solid wooden china cabinet for only....(drum roll please)...$100.00.  Yippee!  I love that!


I have to admit it though I will miss the hunt.  I certainly did some damage on the hunt too.   I am talking about wallet damage.  While scouring several antique stores looking for just the right china cabinet, I came across the (3) Lenox china dishes that I showed you here.


 Sitting there on a bottom shelf in a musty old dusty antique store under stacks of other china was my beautiful Butlers Pantry Gourmet dishes.  I about fell out!  I recognized the edge of the dish straight away and thought I was hallucinating.  My heart was just a thumping as I was unstacking them.  They were quite a deal at $10.00 a plate.  I tried to get them lower but the old man would not call the vendor (he never will) so I bought them anyway cause I knew they were well worth it!  Can you believe it?




And if that wasn't enough, I also found these at another Antique store.   I was looking over one booth very carefully when there again on the bottom shelf  I spotted these hand blown goblets.  They were being sold as a set of 6, priced right, and with 15% off I purchased the set of six for $15.05 and that included tax!  Can you believe that?




 So now you know why I am going to miss the hunt.  I will surely miss all the extras along the way!  LOL!  So check those bottom shelves yall, you never know what might be hiding under there.






We just brought the cabinet inside late last night after I gave it a very through cleaning so please don't flip about the arrangement inside.  I was just moving things over from another piece and had to put them somewhere.  I will be doing lots of rearranging in this room today!  Fun, fun, fun!



I will miss seeing my mirror on that back wall for sure but I am thinking it will look great right here, so that whole look there is going to get a bit of a change again!  Whew, am I going to be busy!




Sorry to be so long winded but this was a story I thought you thrifters might really want to hear the details of.  Thanks for hanging in there with me if you did and be sure and join all the other thrifters over at Debbiedoos for her Garage Salen Party.  There's always great stories of amazing finds at this party!


Hope you all have a great weekend!  I certainly plan on it!  Thanks for visiting today!

20 comments:

  1. You did find a jewel. Your cabinet is stunning. I love the shape and all the wonderful detail of it. I also really like the color of the wood. It goes so well with your table and chairs. You did good. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! It was well worth your wait!! What a beautiful piece and I can't believe the price. Girl......you did good!!

    Have fun moving things around! I just love doing that.

    Blessings,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Mary. Perfect in your dining room.

    Happy Birthday!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously Mary that was so meant to be yours! Worth the trip it looks gorgeous in your DR. I agree with hubby for now wait to see if your really want it black, it looks great now, however it would look fantastic black too, with all your touches and hints of black around it would tie in. I would not be in a rush though. Thanks for joining me, I enjoyed the story and really love the piece! Congrats. Debbie....OH and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, that was soooo worth the wait! It looks perfect and what a great deal! It will look fabulous whether you paint it or not. I hope you have a truly wonderful Birthday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnificent cabinet!! I love it and what a great price. Sometimes those "treasures" we find are so worth the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, that is a gorgeous cabinet! I like it better than the other two AND the inspiration piece!! It would look wonderful in black but I have to say, the wood is just gorgeous. My husband would have a fit, too!! Oak is not something he can stand to be painted!!! I always remind him, that is why I buy things cheap so it doesn't hurt to paint them!!! What a steal you got!

    Have a wonderful birthday, Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure scored with this.. Beautiful cabinet and it looks great in your dining room.. I can see it all decorated for the Holidays~!!
    congrats

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with your husband about the paint. The wood looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You hit the jackpot! Your piece is great- love the shape and scale. So much storage and nice focal point in your room. The price is unheard of.
    Glad you were rewarded for your patience and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you finally found "the one". It's terrific! Have fun filling it up and have a Happy Birthday! Donna...the 3rd sister

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, look at you, you are a master finder! That is truly a gorgeous cabinet and I think it'll look awesome either way too. I just saw a great looking piece in black, it was fine looking.

    Ohooo, I should not be reading blogs, but I am and I'm having fun! Should be packing or doing something like that!

    Happy I found your blog! It's great.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great piece, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary, I am so glad that you are thrilled with your find. Great piece and great price. Happy birthday tomorrow. Have a great one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Mary! Your new piece is gorgeous!! What a great deal you got too!! I wouldn't know what to tell you about painting it or not! It looks so beautiful as it is.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great size cabinet for that price! Nice find! It looks perfect as a candidate for painting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for visiting me and your kind comment.. The baby I posted is one I did last year from the " blob of vinyl " I spoke of.. I got a custom order for the same baby so I ordered the "blob/ vinyl sculpt" and will be starting on it this week.
    I am truly humbled by your compliment. I always tell folks it was a GOD given talent as most time when I see them finished I too wonder how it got from where it started to as lifelike a baby as the final product turns out to be..
    Odd isnt it that I am crappy at painting a kitchen cab door lol, but a Face- no problem:)
    thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy your new cabinet for many years to come. La

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday to you! A fantastic furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary, your "dining cabinet" is fabulous! I'm so glad you finally found it. (Still looking for mine...) Happy birthday today. Mine's Tuesday. And I just read your latest post; can you believe painting my front door is on my To Do list? Wonder what else we have in common! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!