Thursday, October 14, 2010

Nutty Inspiration

This week I was totally inspired by several of our blogging friends over at Sheila's Heart of the Home party.  You just cannot visit so many beautiful kitchens without picking up a few ideas.  Thank you so much Sheila from the bottom of my heart!  I hope you put up a link on your side bar to this post, so we can continuously enjoy all of these beautiful kitchens.  Just a thought!

There was one blogger in particular who's kitchen totally stole my heart!  It was Christie's kitchen over at Three Pixie Lane.  Ladies, if you missed this one you really need to go and check it out.  She has such exquisite style in combining old with new.  I totally loved everything about her kitchen!  In that post, there were a few pictures of her clear canisters that held her nuts and her granola.  When she graciously gave credit to Yvonne at Stone Gable for the granola recipe, I was instantly reminded where I had seen those glass containers before.  I liked them the first time I saw them over at Stone Gable but it really came together for me after seeing them at Three Pixie Lane.  Why?  Because she used her own and her daughters silver baby cups for the scoops!  That's when the light went off for me, and I thought I can certainly do that! 


Yes, that's right we have 5 silver baby cups in our household just sitting in the kitchen hutch tarnishing.  Two for each of my sons and one that was my husbands as a baby.  I never had a silver baby cup, but I've been told I must have born with a silver spoon in my mouth.  LOL!

Every year for Christmas and even before Christmas we receive tons of pecans as gifts.  I even have a huge stash of pecans that are unshelled.  I like the shelled pecan gifts the best.  We never eat all of these even though we do enjoy eating pecans.  What usually happens is we get on pecan overload put them back in the pantry and there they sit forgotten.  Pecans have a wonderful shelf life though!  I have been trying to improve my eating habits lately and improve my overall health.  I have been reading alot about eating more nuts.  Since these are some that I readily have on hand I wanted to bring them out to be enjoyed as a staple item, but the plastic container just wasn't cutting it.

So after seeing Christy's jars I knew I had to go shopping.  I went everywhere looking for just the right jar.  I started at Ross, then went to Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Pier 1, Kohls, and Bed Bath and Beyond.  Some of those places had only sets of jars and some had very thin glassed jars.  BB&B had the closest to what I was looking for but was priced higher then I wanted to spend even with my 20% off coupon.  Luckily for me it is located right next to Target.  So, I hopped on over to Tar-jay!  And there I found them!  Woohoo!

So after washing everything up, I assembled my new nut jar!  I like the sound of that, it makes me laugh.

I decided on this baby cup for my scoop.

I discovered upon closer inspection this one is not silver but actually pewter.
 
I like how much heavier it is then the others and seems more sturdy like a scoop.

I have placed it front and center on my counter for now.  I only emptied the plastic tub and still have a fresh bag to open as soon as these dwindle down.  I have a feeling that won't be to too long from now.

Isn't this just the cutest snack you have ever seen?  I thought so!

I am joining Vanessa for Inspiration Friday today!  It's the party where you get to share all those wonderful bits of inspiration you scoop up all week!  Get it?  "Scoop" up!

Thanks for visiting, I really appreciate you taking the time to stop by.
Let me know if you do.
Mary

12 comments:

  1. Mary, I eewed and aaawwwed over Christie's kitchen, too. I want to make that granola and will soon. I love nuts. Don't have a silver baby cup, but I can get one. I need one more canister. I didn't know Target had them. I got my other ones from the Container store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome jar. I have the same one full of - um - lol, wine corks!! It's full because on day while out doing a local wine tasting at a fabulous winery, I asked the taste server if he had any extra corks. He gave me a whole bag full!!!!

    I love your jar of nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Idea...I have an old candy jar just like that with red writing...I may have to fill it with something yummy and put a cup in it...I am going to check out that kitchen, I know the blog though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary! Not only do I absolutely love that you did that with your baby cups but I love, love, love how sweet and gracious you were in your remarks about the other gals and their blogs! We have baby cups that are up on shelves right now but it makes me think of how I could use some if I ever stumbled across other ones while shopping...just what I need...one more excuse to hit the stores! :-)
    Thanks for joining the party again this week, you are always such a faithful bloggy friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea. I follow both of those blogs too. So much great inspiration. I'm going to use some vintage tin cups I have. So much fun. Nice to meet you. I'm over from Common Ground.

    Vicki at Rusty Rooster Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way this looks! I plan on doing the same with some of my vintage tin cups. I'm visiting from Common Ground. Nice to meet you!

    Vicki at Rusty Rooster Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea! I am going over to check out her kitchen! I love nuts and granola! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea, Mary! Love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea and how you used it is amazing. what a beautiful kitchen you have.. Now I need to go check out the link you posted..

    Have a great weekend and Happy Friday to you..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved that idea when I saw it too- and that entire kitchen is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing where to find those big jars!! :) Love the little baby cups you have- so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, I am just beside myself! You are too kind! I was feeling kinda ungrateful as I posted my kitchen, because I could see all the things wrong with it and all the outdated things!! I tried so hard to not make note of them in the post! I need to count my blessings more! I was just a lovin' your kitchen and all the upgrades, pretty touches and that laundry room hidden so close!! I am so glad that you pulled out those adorable silver and pewter cups! I am just a believer in using what you have! My mom passed away at the young age of 54, so I try to use all the things around us...china, silver...anything with my children to make fun memories! All these things aren't much good on a shelf! One day, I hope they will see these things and it will strike a fond memory of something fun we did! Your pecans...yummm..strikes fond memories for me of the buckets and buckets of pecans my grandfather used to bring to us or we used to pick up from his yard under the HUGE tree! I wish I had thought to comment where I got those glass containers!! Sometimes, I am in a hurry to get the post up! I believe I got them at Target...only other place could have been Hobby Lobby. Some friends have told me that Wal-mart carries them at good prices, too! Thank you for the ultimate complement! I appreciate it so much! OH!! Loved the post above with all your treasures from yesterday AND the one below! Spooky Haloween set-up with the CAT!! Loved it, loved it! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary - I think you did a lovely job with your kitchen, and I am inspired! Thank you for sharing with us!

    A word of caution, though - pewter is not considered food-safe anymore, as it contains lead (which is why it's so much heavier than the silver cups). If you have little ones around, you may wish to swap that cup out for one of the silver cups.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!