Friday, October 29, 2010

A Trio of Stands

Last week I did a beautiful table scape on my porch using my newest dishes.  I made the dinner plate into a temporary cake stand by placing the plate on top of a candle stick.  This was fine for this setting but what I really had been wanting was a stand of some sort I could stack my small dishes on.  I have several smaller stands already but I wanted something larger and darker (more fallish) if you will.  So I hit the thrift stores and here's what I found.



This shows the before pictures during my restoration. Sorry! I forgot to take the photos before I dissembled them to paint.  As you can see here they were brass.  But with a little ORB spray paint I changed them to this!


I had intended to only purchase the one larger stand as they were being sold separately.  However, the sales lady at the thrift store offered me 50% off if I bought the whole set, which came to $9.00 total.  Sounded great to me so I brought all three of them home.  Quick question now, what exactly is the proper term to call these?  All I can think of is a compote stand, but that can't be right.  Please do tell!


This is the one that I wanted most!  I just love thee wooden dish part of these stands.  I am sure my grandmother also had some of these when I was young, because I sooo remember them.










I am very pleased at how well the ORB turned out on these too!  I think it looks so much better this way!  I couldn't wait to set them out and of course I had to find spot for all three of them in the dining room.





This is what I was aiming for, something to hold small snack plates.


Perfect!


For now the smaller one is holding one of my jacks but, Oh, the things I can think of to use this one for!




This one really needs some nuts, don't you think?


Love, love, love the ORB!

I also came across something else while out thriftin and just could not resist.  I have seen these all over blogland but have never owned one.  I look forward to putting a few fresh flowers in this.

I am guessing this is a milk bottle, right?  Please correct me if I am wrong, but that's what I'm thinking.  Would you believe I only paid .25cents for this?  I was like OMG! 

It has " Since 1852" on the front.  I guess that was the date the milk co. started?


But here's what I don't get.  Why does the bottom look like this?  At first I thought it must have happened after it was made, but I think it was made this way.  Anyone know why?  Just curious!



I am joining the following parties today to showcase my latest finds.  Please follow the links below for more exciting and interesting posts.


Thank you always for taking the time to visit!
I hope you have a great weekend!
Mary

16 comments:

  1. What a great job you did, Mary. And an original idea. The tiered stands look great with your dishes on them!

    I think the bottle is a carafe that was probably sold with wine in it. I have a couple, too and that's what I use sometimes when I'm serving wine outdoors. You can also fill it with water and lemon slices for the table.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you the clever one. These will come in handy throughout the holidays. La

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your wonderful wood servers. They are fabulous and also look like they could be stacked for a fabulous tiered display. Love the bottle too. I also think it is a wine carafe. Great find. Your vignette is lovely using them. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary! Those are some great finds! I think my aunt had one of those wooden bowls too so that totally brought back memories for me. You did a great job with your thrify finds and really made your own custom pieces!
    Vanessa
    P.S. Thanks for your sweet comment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great finds- they look so pretty the way you have them holding your dishes! Great scores!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful news stands made by a very clever and thrifty Lady.. good job~!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovin' your footed dishes, I think we had some like that when I was a kid (cereal bowls not stands). Curious to see if anyone knows about the bottle:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your thrifty finds. We have some of the bottles too, but I'm not sure what they were used for. I love the ORB too.

    Blessings!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finds! They look great holding your plates. Will they stack? Could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read through the comments hoping that someone knew for sure about the bottom of the bottle. That's so interesting. I didn't think it when I read the post, but the person who said it was a wine carafe is probably right.

    I would call the stands compote stands. AND I would call them beautiful with that ORB make over. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are way too creative! Your stands look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly scored big time, I love the bowls and how you have used them too! Especially the one with the small plates!

    I thought those type of bottles were used for wine? I don't know why I think that though maybe I've seen them used that way but can't remember where. It will look great though used as a vase:)

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your stands are wonderful! I have also always called these compote stands. Don't you just love orb paint? The bottle is a wine carafe and the bubble on the bottom is most likely because it was hand blown. Just my best guess!
    xoxo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have GOT to buy some ORB paint! Nice job -- yet again... I hope you're still enjoying your new china cabinet. I finally found what I was looking for at auction yesterday. It's a very old stepback cupboard with Art Nouveau carving and thick beveled glass. I'll try to post pics soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new stands look great with the ORB coat of paint...I think they are compotes?!?! The new bottle is cute too!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  16. How on earth did I miss this post?! You are so stinkin' creative! I love how you created new stands! Thanks for the inspiration that I will be borrowing. :) (And, thanks for your sweet note about my mudroom redo! And, I'm also glad that you now know who Snooki is ... lol!) Take care, Becca

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!