Friday, September 10, 2010

When it all comes together!

Don't you just love when it all finally comes together.  I do!  That's how it was for me yesterday!  I spent my time around the house straightening up and rearranging a few things that I've been meaning to get to but just hadn't gotten to yet.  You know how that goes.


Anyway, it started with one big, whew,  I'm so glad I finally found the right look moment.  Do you remember when I showed you this plate arrangement back in July in this post?

I had been working on this for some time and looking for just the right plates to add.


To refresh your memory I added the two blue Vera Bradley plates to complete this arrangement.  I was very excited to have found them at the beach this year at one of my favorite stores.  They had just the right colors for this dining room and were just the right size.   But after living with them for a few months they just weren't cutting it for me!  I hate when that happens!  Does that ever happen to you?  Well, it does me, and that's when you realize you aren't done yet.  You keep on looking for something else.

So when I saw these two plates at Marshalls I thought that's it!  They are perfect!  That will be it!


They are black with off white, and who doesn't love toile right?


So pretty and what a deal at only $2.99!  Well, I'm not even going to show you what they looked like on the wall.  Sadly enough I pulled the price stickers off before I got them on the wall and then realized I liked the Vera Bradley plates way better then these!  I resigned to keep the toile plates and use them for some of my tables capes.

Then as I was out and about this week I decided to stop in at Belks.  I haven't been by there in awhile and I was thinking I really need to stop by and check out their clearance china.  I don't know about your Belks, but ours puts china on clearance all the time.  I love to look through their clearance and find small pretty dishes and saucers to use for candle holders.  I once found a pretty white for Wedgeford china dish for only one or two dollars.  I know right!  I like to give these small dishes with a candle as gifts from time to time.

Okay back to my story, while looking through the clearance dishes I found two more salad plates that I knew would be perfect.  The colors were right, I liked the pattern and OMG!  They were on clearance for $1.89 each!  I brought them home put them up and that's when the WHEW moment arrived.


This looks sooo much better to me.  I like how they blend with the other dishes better then the Vera Bradley plates I had.


They have a white (not off white) background and a gold rim..but not too gold, like the frame below.  It 's going to get a before and after treatment of it's own soon.  Don't fret I know just what to do with that!

These are from the Biltmore for Your Home line of fine china, exclusively at Belks.  LOL!


The pattern is Crochet Flower.  Very pretty name huh?  I love it!

Now don't worry the Vera Bradley plates are staying in the dining room because I do still absolutely love them.  I just need to get some plate hangers for them.

They will look excellent stacked on top of each other here above this chair!  That way they are not competing with any other plates.

Then as if that wasn't enough I did more cleaning and organizing in the black sideboard in my dining room and came across two of these gold plate stands that I wasn't using.  I knew I had one, but had forgot I had two.  I put the black toile plates in my cabinet and then pulled them back out. 

I had another wait a minute moment, I know where these need to go!  Didn't they look kind of fallish to you with the wheat and everything?  I know I said I like to keep my mantle streamlined but these plates were begging to be displayed. 

I actually think this is still pretty streamlined though.


And I love this set up!


I think I have gone dish crazy lately since tablescaping.


But I sure do like this look a lot better too!  Who doesn't love toile right?
I am linking to Arties Vignette Fridays.

Hope you enjoyed the changes, thanks for stopping by!
Mary

21 comments:

  1. Mary, love the new plates and your mantel looks great like that. Glad you figured it all out. Love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a perfect job of getting it all just right. And yes, I love it when that happens!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thank you for visiting me at Southern Lagniappe and for taking the time to leave such a gracious comment. I'm so glad it led me to your blog. I enjoyed seeing your "before and after" wall pictures and love the new look. I like the toile plates on the mantel, too ... and that looks like a perfect corner for your Vera Bradley plates. Don't you just love it when a plan all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the toile plates look great on the mantle. You have so many pretty ones that it has to be hard to figure out where they will look best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have a hate relationship with the real ones. They have chewed the trim up on our house right after the mister painted it last fall. Now he has to fix it and to it again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, it looks great! Love all the plates and especially the ones sitting on your mantel. You pulled this together like a pro!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I love the way your dining room wall turned out and I especially love the plates stacked on the chair! Very clever! :-) Truly, though, that is the best feeling when it all comes together and for next to nothing! I wish I had a store called Belks near me! I would love to invite you to share this with the folks coming to my Inspiration Friday Party. I think it would be a great addition!
    Vanessa
    http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Mary! Oh, I do love those new plates and your mantle is just so beautiful! You've got it decorated very elegantly! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary,
    Your new plate arrangement is very pretty. I do that too. I put things up and then I look at them awhile before I change anything drastic. I like the Harvest plates on your mantel too. I bought those plates also. They are perfect for fall vignettes!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful change!

    We don't have a Belk's here but there is one in Branson MO. I'll have to stop by, next time we are there and see what they have in the china dept.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your new plates, I have something similar that I keep on a hutch {the black and white ones}.

    Deep inside you must really love the VB plates because you can't seem to part with them! lol!! Your mantel looks fresh and pretty, too!

    Have a happy weekend!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love clearing thru the house, touching up, rearranging. Gives me a since of peace. Right now I'm having one of those too many incomplete project phases?! School starting has been a bit of a setback.

    Your new black/wht plates look great on the mantel and I love the plates from Belk's....way to hold out and find just the right ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is right! They look like they were meant to be there. I love those black and white plates! They look really great on your mantle. I am cleaning this house top to bottom next week. I dread it, but it will feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! What a deal on the plates. They are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As long as you find plate bargains like those, I think you should buy, buy, buy! Love those toile plates, and your floral plates do perfect that wall grouping. So pretty! Your mantel looks so pretty, but it does look streamlined at the same time. Great job! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, they are all so pretty and I think your new plate arrangement is the best one yet- but I say that every time dont I :)
    I adore the new toile black n white plates...you got a real deal on those.. I better go check out our marshalls...

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your visit -- Love these plates on your mantle -- perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are so much alike. As I was reading I thought "yeah, that's something I would do"...

    All of your arrangements look great! And your plates are beautiful. I have the same birds that are on your mantel. They're so cute and add a touch of whimsy!

    Have a blessed weekend!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is a wonderful thing when it all works out. I adore decorating with plates...to me that add so much. I like the plates from Belk a lot. Nice Job Mary, and great deal on the Toile pretty ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mary, gorgeous. Do you mind my asking what color that top gray-ish blue paint is? I really like it. I liked the fun story about your finding the right plate adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, just love your post and pictures and I wish I hadnt passed up on the black and cream toile plates when I saw them at Marshalls!!!Can you tell me the name/maker that's on the back so I can search for them elsewhere? Thanks a ton! jmarisfamily@aol.com www.amylmaris.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!