Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How do I Save Bulbs?

I had planned to take you all on the last half of my walk today for Outdoor Wednesday but I've changed my mind.  Well, I am a woman you know and so entitled, or so I've been told.   Yesterday, I did a few switches in my planters and came across something I'm hoping to get a little advice on.  This got me taking a good look around at all my outdoor planters and how weary everything was looking.  So I've decided to do a fascinating post on the poor pathetic state of my out plants instead.

Yesterday I added these purple and yellow violas to my deck planters.


The blue daze in the center is staying for now.  It's only looking somewhat sad after I revived it with some much needed water.  I guess I just plain got lazy on watering.


I love these guys and they will look wonderful if I keep up with them.


Here's the other deck planter on the other side of the deck.  I also added the two yellow Mums on each side of the deck after pulling out the Pentas that were about 3 ft. tall and nearly dead.

Can you see I've been quite busy!  My potting bench looks like a...well... potting bench!


Here's where I would like some advice.  I pulled these out of the deck planters.  They are bulbs that grew from the potato vine.  Pretty cool huh?  Does anyone know if I can store these somehow over winter to use them for plantings next year?  It's not crucial, but hey, if I can do it, I'd love to know how.  I just love when plants multiply and return, don't you?

The trouble is I often forget if I've got a bulb or stems somewhere I've cut down.
Take this planter for example.  I had totally forgot that last year I grew this Mexican Sage in this pot.  You can still see the geranium I was trying to grow in the center of this pot.  I kept having these stems pop up all summer trying to over take the geranium and I kept pulling them thinking they were weeds.  I only remembered after I let it go for awhile and one stem got really tall and bloomed.



And speaking of plants that multiply.  Check out this plant I bought from an estate sale this summer.


I was able to start a new pot from this plant.  It had these leaves that grew out to have bulbs and more leaves on them.  Very cool.  I just snipped them off and planted them in this pot below.


I can't wait until this plant matures too.


This big plant growing behind the deck chairs here is supposed to be an annual.  But it loves where I planted it and keeps coming back.  I've had it several years now.  It will totally dry up to have the stems cut down in the winter.  I cannot remember the name right now, but I think it starts with an L.


It has big spiky purple and pink blooms.

  Please indulge me for a few more shots of my plants around the back deck and backyard.  I tried to focus on the best looking ones that are still hanging in there.







Now my poor yard is another story.  I really want a sprinkler system!











I have to say my ferns all seem to be hanging in there despite the lack of water.  I put them here in the backyard early on this summer because they were getting to much sun on the front porch and dying.

Let's go around to the front for a few more quick peeks, Oh, come on..


I moved those large planters over by the bench from where the iron stands are now.  The stands were by the front door and I moved them down here by the steps.  Much easier to keep watered this way!


The deer came and ate the other leafy green plant that was behind the blue daze.  I guess they don't like the taste of the blue daze.  Yay!



Do you remember I planted these Gardenias just this spring.  Look how much they grew!  I love it!


My purple Lantana finally spread out nicely but not as dark green and lush as usual.

Lastly, I'm hoping these mums will fill in a bit more in my stands here.  That is if I can keep them watered.  I really do enjoy gardening I just have been rather neglectful this summer.
  What about your yard?  How are your plants looking?  This is the time to transition into fall plantings, have you done so yet?

Drop me a comment and let me know about those bulbs too if you know. I really better get on with that walk now, maybe you can come next time.

Thanks for stopping by!
Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Mary




7 comments:

  1. You sure have been busy out there. I planted pansies, and there is a reason they call them pansies....mine are not doing so HOT, as it is still too HOT! Everything is looking so nice Mary, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeellll, lol, I can honestly say your pots look way better than mine. :) I have to be careful, also, with flowers and bedding plants because of occasional deer that like dessert at my home.

    I've got to plant my fall goodie flowers but since the house is midway being painted, I have to wait out the mess and chaos. I want my porch back and can't wait to decorate outside for fall.

    Our backyard grass had those same issues till Hubby put in a sprinkler system. I either overwatered or underwatered and seriously, was it really my fault that I would go off and leave a whirly bird sprinkler running all day??? I have more important things to think about, like, well, decorating...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed walking along with you in the yard and seeing your plants...you've done quite well..As for the sweet potato, I would just plant it and keep it inside in a planter over the winter....I get lazy about watering, too. I'll go out and take photos of my flowers out front. They're getting leggy...too hot to plant for Fall and winter but I like the idea of the violas..I may plant some pansies soon.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm laughing because I just started dumping out some of my more sad looking potted plants and my girl and I are headed today to go get some new ones to freshen things up and bring in some fall color! I had some pretty pitiful looking things on my deck! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine are on their last legs so to speak. But hey, it's Wisconsin and we'll have our first frost before long. I think your's are still looking pretty fine, nice little tour too!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never thought of saving the bulbs from the potato vines. I wonder if you can't just leave them in the pots or ground? Do you think they'll come back next year? I seem to think I've had potato vine reappear in a pot or two the following spring/summer. Might be worth a try. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!