Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rearranging the Back Porch

This weekend I found some time to rearrange and CLEAN the back porch.  It is amazing how many spider webs and dust spores can accumulate over a long hot and dry summer.    I usually keep up with it all summer, however this year was so hot I just could not deal with it much.  I am going to spare you the before pictures, because trust me it wasn't pretty!  However for those of you who want to know how the porch used to look when it was clean you can go here.


After vacuuming, cleaning and moving a few things around this is how my porch is looking today
.
One of the first things I did was to move the bakers rack to this side of the porch.  Why?  Because as you are going to see in the next photos, it's going to have much more use over here.  This time of year we tend to have more gatherings on the porch and that means the hammock comes down.



And our wrought iron round table comes in!  We use this table often, especially at Christmas when the whole family is over and seating is limited.  The porch is often a favorite dining spot for many when you have a house full of guests who are hot and full of Christmas cheer.

 
I have the other two chairs handy on the front porch right now at another smaller table.  I can easily move them in here should I need more seating one evening. 


I like the bakers rack over here so much better now. I am excited to think about how I will use it this year during times of entertaining.


I did a little  vignette rearranging on this too.  I really streamlined it a bit more.  Sometimes, I think a little goes a long way.  Especially when you are faced with having to clean so much.



I moved this pumpkin that I have on a candlestick from the dining room out here.  I like how the yellow and orange play off of the blue dish with nuts.



For the bottom shelf I moved this blue glazed piece down lower and added my two turkey baskets.


I really need to paint this table again.  I hadn't realized how much that needed to be done until I saw these photos.  Whew!  Do you see my water fountain in the background?



My BIL gave this to me one Christmas.  I just love it!  I haven't even turned it on all summer though and now I can't get it to turn on.   Luckily, the Mr. is going to take a look at it more tomorrow, he's pretty good at fixing things.  I just love the way the water sounds when it's trickling down this pineapple design.



Over here, you will probably notice that again I just streamlined and decluttered.



I can't remember if I ever showed you these cute little baskets I got for these shelves.  I got them from DT.  They are plastic baskets.  They have been so wonderful this summer.


Here's the other side of the porch where the bakers rack used to be.  Don't mind those spots on the chairs.  I noticed a few spots on the fabric that I had to clean.  It's not dry yet.  LOL!



Much more open and airy now.



This little TV stand got moved over here where the bakers rack used to be. 


I just love my white peacock, I think it looks great here!

 
Well, that's it!  Shew! I'm exhausted.



It feels great to get this chore done.  I feel like I have a new room again!
I am linking up to;
and

Thanks for stopping by for a visit.  The back porch is always open for company, urr, now that it's clean!
Mary

20 comments:

  1. Everything looks just wonderful Mary!
    What a wonderful room that is. I love all the decor and your neat vignettes!
    Now go take a rest!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your porch. This makes me want to work on mine. I've done a little decorating on the screened and front porches, but I need to do more. So.....you've inspired me to do that. Everything looks lovely. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never realized your area is enclosed there....what a great room to have! Looks awesome Mary....I know what you mean about spiders, webs and dust....that is the story of my life. Wait til you see what my deck looks like come Fall...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I'm totally embarrassed. My porch looks like a disaster zone and yours is so beautiful!!

    It really is gorgeous and so welcoming. I'd definitely sit for hours - you couldn't get rid of me. Seriously, I could escape the Oregon rain and relax there for hours and hours. :)

    I don't have a back porch, I have a deck that is in chaos at the moment. Our home is in the process of being painted and it's been raining - holding up the work - and well, I'm just a tad bit neurotic at this point about the mess. Maybe I'll get photos, or maybe just another sip of wine so that I don't notice the disaster.

    May I please go to your house where your back porch is comforting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, your porch looks wonderful and I know what you mean about the heat this summer and just not worth suffering in to keep it clean.
    That baker's rack sure has come in handy for you this summer and now on into the holidays. I am sure it will be fun to fix up for Christmas. I do wish we had a porch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks GREAT! Do the squirrels steal your nuts? :o) La

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am so jealous of your back porch! It really is like having another room! How fun to have this lovely gathering spot for great conversation and family time!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really, love your porch! It looks like a wonderful place to sit! What a lovely place for an evening meal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a relaxing place to enjoy the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so fresh, clean and inviting. I am about to paint a similar table with ORB. When I get around to it...that is. hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your porch, it is so pretty and so inviting. You have such lovely accessories. I could just sit there all day. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice and comfy porch! We still can't use ours yet here in FL, just a few more weeks, can't wait! We have a lot of cleaning to do on it as well!

    Love the white peacock!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks gorgeous and really clean! You have created a special and relaxing outdoor space. Great shelf displays. It is all looking very pretty.

    Happy Fall! ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks beautiful Mary! I wish we had room for our hammock to hang on the deck at the lake. We have a frame, but wish we could hang it on the porch. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your porch and that pumpkin....Praise God from Whom all blessings flow....PERFECT!!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, I am soooooooooooooo jealous.. I have always wanted a screened in porch and yours is perfect~!! I have that same bakers rack on my front porch but it sure isnt decorated pretty like yours is.. I can only imagine how great it is to sit out there.. wow wow...
    I know you and all of your guests will be having great times out there...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Mom used to have that very same table and chairs. I think she sold it during one of her major redecorating moods. I wish she had not. Seeing your brought back lots of happy memories.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary...

    You have a beautiful porch, my friend! I couldn't help but think about my porch and how its in need of a good cleaning after the summer months! Eeeks! I just love that you have a bakers rack on your porch. I have been wanting to do the same thing but just haven't found the right deal yet! Hehe! I love all of the autumn pretties that you added to it! I love your porch...what a sweet space! Thanks for sharing it with us! I'd say that you deserve a great big glass of iced tea and a rest out on that pretty porch now! wink!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your patio looks wonderful!! You have inspired me to get outside & do mine!! I love your wrought iron table & chairs, too cute.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your patio looks just wonderful - so inviting! I love your pumpkin. I used to love hearing my father sing that in church. Thanks for a lovely memory...

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!