Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Happy Potting Bench

Finally, I am finished with this post that has been sitting in draft since the first of May!  Boy, am I a slacker!  Seems I can't finish one thing before I'm off on another!  Well, today's the day, and I am ready to reveal the makeover of my potting bench!  Hope you enjoy!
I love being outdoors and puttering around with my plants.  One year we had some leftover scrap pieces of teak from a dock project at our sailing club.  The Mr. being the thrifty man he is scooped them right up and brought them home.  After listening to several years of me wishing I had a potting bench, he built me one!  I used to keep it over by the fence, way back in a corner of our back yard.  That is until this year, when I brought it out and placed it right in the middle of our deck.  I am loving it, as it is much more usable here in so many ways.  This is how it looked when I first moved it this April.



Not too bad, I had a few accessory pieces but it was still looking kind of tired and shabby!


I started with the little lantern above.  It really need some new paint!  

A little yellow Kryon and it's looking bright and cheery now!


Then, I noticed the wooden tool box was looking really shabby!  I found this cute little stick on from the dollar tree, applied it, and added a coat of modge podge on top to secure it!  It's simple but add's just the right touch of interest, don't you think?



Then I decided to move the tool box to the lower shelf and free up the top for potting!



My blue candle lanterns also received a fresh coat of blue!

 

This iron piece was purchased as a front door mat and I really did use it as one.  But, after listening to many guest and family members complain of the hard knobs and the heels of their shoes getting stuck as they entered our home I moved it to a fence in the back yard.  I decided to move it here, after moving the potting bench up on the deck.  I just love the extra design element it adds to the whole scene.


It fits the space perfectly and I can hang things off of it if I want!  On the top shelf I've arranged a few fun outdoor items.


This potted plant w/a birdhouse and few mosaic birds from Kirklands.


This is a handmade ceramic pineapple bird feeder, I purchased a few years back from our Craftsman's Classic Fair.  You are supposed to thread an apple or pear through the metal and hang from a tree.  However I do not choose to feed and encourage our squirrels as this would surely do, so it's more an ornamental piece for now!


And a few odd looking wood pieces (added for support) needed a little extra something.  I added these stamped pebbles from the dollar tree to both sides, for a little interest.

On the lower shelf I added a few whimsical hooks I picked up sometime ago from Michael's. 



My extra pots were moved and tucked nicely underneath the whole bench.

I love having my potting bench right on the deck in a space I use so often.  It is so convenient having it right here in the middle of things!


It is such a fun sight to behold and I can entertain off of it if I need to as well!  I know it's busy and cluttered but it is primarily a POTTING bench! 


This is my happy place, and I really enjoy it!  What about you?  Do you have a happy place, that just makes you smile and feel good?  I would love to hear about it!

Thanks for stopping by!  I am joining the following party today!  Please be sure an check out more amazing and fantastic changes here at;

 

Let me know if you dropped in and made it all the way through today okay?
I really appreciate it, and I love hearing from ya!  Always!!!
Mary

13 comments:

  1. Blackberry Cottage6/6/10, 5:36 PM

    Love this! It's cute, functional - and fun!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one!~ This is fabulous! ANd boy do those colors look all too familiar to me:) They make all the difference don't you think? So happy! This post made me smile....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the brightly colored goodies you added to your potting bench. Using the door mat as a grate to hang things on is such a good idea. Looks good there, too. I would love to have a potting bench, too. Not sure where to put one, but it would come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and handy place for gardening ! Looks so cheerful and bright - great job !!!!!


    gena
    www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspotcom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It doesn't look cluttered to me. And, the color you added to all the pieces really made a big difference! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it and the splash of color is perfect. My happy place is my sewing craft room. It is all set up so everything is handy. It makes me smile when I walk in!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great bench the hubster made for you Mary! I don't think it looks cluttered at all, I think you've got what you need there for potting up plants and, since it's on the deck, I like how you've incorporated it with some decorative items. Love the toolbox with the dollar store saying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great changes! I love the stick on - from the Dollar Tree? Wow!
    Need to stop by there!
    Everything looks wonderful. Definitely a great idea to move it closer!
    God Bless,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you finally got this post out of draft! I really enjoyed it!!! Love what you did to the tool box & I really love the door mat! Thanks for the nice comment on my new deck planter post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful update~well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it all! What a festive area you have created for potting plants. I don't think it looks cluttered at all, but then you should see my house, lol.

    Truly, truly…wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mary...

    I'm just coming over from Susan's Met Monday party! Wowzer...I love your potting bench...what a sweet honey you have!!! He did a great job creating it for you and I just love how you've accessorized it! Sooo many pretties! Love, love, LOVE that pretty iron piece with the pineapple...you're right...it's perfect on your potting bench! I think you made a great decision to move your bench onto the deck...you'll get much more use out of it and it really is a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing it with us today!!!

    Have a marvelous Monday, my friend!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! Amazing what paint and imagination can do. laurie

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!