Wednesday, June 9, 2010

HOW TO START?

I am hoping I will have a few loyal followers today who read this and respond.  Those of you who have followed me know I have a history in retail in a small shop.  Well, what I have not mentioned to you is that I truly would like to have my own shop one day.  I do think I could manage it quite well myself and have a fantastic idea of what I would want to specialize in!

I'm not ready to fully reveal my concept on here yet, but I will say it has more to do with resale.  I would ultimately like to have a real brick and mortar building with some retail items but mostly resale consignments!  However, I do not have the capital to do this or even know where to begin.  My thoughts are that I would like to start something online and see if that would evolve into a sustainable business one day. 

My question for you is this?  Where do I start gathering information?  Who do I need to speak with?  I have seen so many of you who have your own business and would love to exchange emails with some of you who are willing to offer some sound advice.  I have already researched Ebay but do not want to go that route.  I'm not sure about using ETSY either, but really haven't looked into that.  I really am getting excited about this idea and want to give it a try!  Is it realistic to think you can start out small and grow in this economy?  IDK

Well that's it!  Please respond if you are willing to help or know of any blogs or websites that have information available about this. Even if you don't have your own business and follow me,  I'd appreciate all your thoughts and comments on this idea too!  I really want to hear from all of you!

Thanks In Advance!
Mary

6 comments:

  1. I think you should check out Etsy, it seems to be popular with the blogging crowd. I'm planning to open a store there with my seashell crafts in the near future.

    Also, have you checked into one of those co-op stores where each seller has their own booth? You should check out Sissie's Shabby Cottage (there's a link in my sidebar), she does Etsy and has a booth. She's a real sweetie and very helpful.

    Good luck, I'll be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Mary. Well I have no clue about running a business. I do see a lot gals that seem to be successful in Etsy. One blog that comes to mind is My sweet savannah....she started off small, and I think she does pretty well now. The hardest part is shipping, if you have big items, they cost more to ship. I like your idea, and I think you should really pursue if that is what you love to do, I think you would be great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shellbelle and Debbie, great feedback, I will check out both of those blogs recommended. Yeah, Debbie, you are right about the shipping that is why I would rather have an actual local business, still its worth considering. And Shellbelle yes, I have looked into a booth at a few places before but I am always amazed at how expensive that is. I want to be the one who rents out the booths or preferably manages the whole space and takes a commission off of the sales. I know people have done it, but I just don't see how they make much money after paying such high prices for the booths, atleast around here they do. Also my idea is to have a specialized assortment of like items. Sorry to be so vague but I don't want my idea being snatched away! I know it's already out there and mostly likely no doubt already in blogland but most definately not around here locally! So I'm being hush,hush,for now. LOL! I truly hope more friends will weigh in on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Etsy is very popular. I wish I were more help. My sorority sister has an Etsy shop and I am sure she would be more than happy to answer any questions. Her name is Allison at

    http://adventuresofthemichelenafamily.blogspot.com/

    She is a doll and tell her Kathryn sent you over.

    I wish I had more for you, but I can't wait to find out what your idea is! Thanks for your sweet note. I am back and ready to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it sounds like we are in the same boat here. Here's what I have to offer - I started on Etsy and have been VERY successful. Don't be so quick to rule it out. It's very easy and growing by the day - I predict it will be as big as Ebay. I sell things I find at yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores etc. One thing you need is a good eye. Know what to look for. Then, I started a website. Hubby designs them so it was easy for me. That's still in the works, but I plan to sell things on the site that are too big to sell on Etsy ie, furniture. Good luck and keep me posted. Email if you want to discuss further.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, I am proud of you for working on your dreams to have your own business. I too think Etsy might be an idea. No expensive overhead is very attractive. I wish you luck.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!