Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Perking Up the Planters

My poor planters on the back deck have been through quite a bit of changes this summer.  I went back and just could not find a before photo of the way they started out this spring!  Basically, I planted two potato vines, two million bells, and one coleus in each planter. 


Over several weeks it was clear the million bells that usually flourish in my planters were showing severe signs of stress so I moved them out, as well as the coleus.  I am happy to report both those plants are doing well in their new locations!  See!









But wait, let's get back to the deck planters!   When I moved those plants out, I replaced them with vinca!  The vinca flowers were doing great along with the potato vines... until just recently.  Here are my "before" pictures of how they looked this morning!


Along with growing rather tall, they seemed not be spreading out like I would prefer.



One of my poor potato vines in this planter is looking very tired, too!



So, today I moved the vinca over and added in some blue daze.


This filled things in much better, don't you think?


I like this look so much better now "after" I have added more flowers AGAIN!
I am wondering how many times I will have to rework these planters this year in particular.  Ughh!!!


I just can't imagine why I am having such issues with them, can you? 

I am joining the following parties today! 
http://debbie-debbiedoos.blogspot.com/ for Debbiedos Before & After Party
And

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful day! 
Mary


12 comments:

  1. Uh-oh. Looks like you have a gardening protege helping out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love kittys. They get in the most peculiar place to nap, don't they??? Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks much better. The fuller the better. My potted plants have seen better days, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! I wish my potatoe vines had done well this season...but they did not, I am not sure why, they have in the past and I have been watering. Well your planters are very happy and that is happy to see...and I thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Gee, I don't know! : ) The humidity has been so bad this July here that most of my plants in pots died. I did coleus too and I usually have a lot of luck with them. I also did Cosmos {they dried up and died}.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitty's and heat, that will do it!
    Hehe. I think your making things look very pretty!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny! Your planters are looking lovely with the sprucing~ I need to do that, too...many of mine are looking past their prime, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He has the best seat in the house! er, yard...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a priceless picture of that sweet kittie! Your flowers are gorgeous, but that camera you are using is freakin' amazing!!! Such great pictures!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job moving the plants around and salvaging them! They do look much healthier and happier that way and your kitty seems to like what you've done too! Stopping by from OW.
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kitty is too funny! Try trimming the tops of the vincas and they should bush out more. Also the potato vine too. I like the way the blue daze looks...I always like a bunch of color together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw! Your kitty in the planter is cute! Flowers are looking nice!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!