Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Different Sunset Tablescape

 Monday I was delighted to be the recipient of a most unusual surprise.  I was doing my usual Monday grocery run at the local Walmart (I know, please don't chastise me) when a lady from the floral department offered me some flowers.  She was wheeling a cart full of flowers around the produce section.  These flowers had past their shelf life and rather then throw them away she decided to offer them to customers.  I got to choose from the cart whatever I wanted and they were absolutely FREE!


I actually chose a different bunch then returned those and went back for these.  I didn't pick them to begin with because they seemed to be the saddest of the bunches.   However, I felt like they were literally calling me back!  For some reason, they remind me of the sunset.  I think it is because of the color and the fact that they are fading fast.   So, in order to give them the proper send off they deserve, I am honoring them with a beautiful table scape today.


I love how pretty they look with my tropical runner!





I decided my pretty beaded copper candlesticks would be an excellent addition to the centerpiece.  Then I added two glass votives so I could use the smaller votive candles that I have on hand.


Next, I chose to use my brown place mats with the pretty crocheted edge.


Then I brought out my best pieces for the place setting.  Those flowers certainly deserve this!


This is my wedding china.  The pattern is Charleston by Lenox.  I would be willing to bet you almost every other southern girl in the state of S.C. who married in the 80's registered this pattern too.  How could we not, it would have been unheard of.


I love how dainty and feminine this pattern is, and the fact that it is an off white bone china.

I added these beautiful toile blue green napkins.  The fruit pattern is in off white and light brown.

Then secured them in my newest pearl napkin rings from Lenox.

I put out my silver as well, because I promised only the best right?  I inherited this from my in laws so I am sorry to say I do not know the patten, unless you count the "K" that is engraved on the backs of the handles.  Then I would call them our, "Special K" pattern. 



My wedding crystal also made it to the table today.

This pattern is "Madison" by Lenox.


On the end of the table I decided to add a bottle of red wine and another centerpiece.


I chose the wicker basket, wooden tray and brown napkin to add a sense of warmth to the setting.


Also one of my own handmade and handpainted by me, lavender sachet bags, my newest bird decor and a smaller cloche holding a real nest with real eggs.  Don't worry they each have a small hole in the very back of these eggs that are hollow and never did mature.  Unfortunately, I found this nest this way in one of my ferns this spring.  Too beautiful and precious to throw away, just like these flowers.



I am especially thrilled with how this setting turned out today!
This has been so rewarding because I rarely use my wedding china and crystal because it is quite formal.
  I loved mixing my best pieces with more casual pieces.  It made for a setting that I think is quite elegant but also quite comfortable. 


I have these beautiful flowers to thank for showing me the possibilities, and for reminding me it is never too late until the sun has fully set!


I am joining Susan @ http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ for Tablescape Thursday.  Please be sure and visit the link above if you want to view more gorgeous and inspiring settings.

Thanks for visiting today and I hope you enjoyed your visit.  Have a great day!

23 comments:

  1. Very pretty, lovely china! Ya can't pass up free flowers and you set a beautiful table with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Mary! Gotta love the Walmart...sorry no chastising from me:) Your dishes are soooooo pretty...everything looks so delightful! So nice of the lady to offer those...Have a great day. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tablescape is gorgeous! I absolutely love your tropical table runner!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, what a beautiful table you have set. I love your silver. Special K sounds like a good name for it to me. How nice to get a free bunch of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is so pretty! I love your flatware too! So fancy!!!! That was so nice of her to give those flowers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those flowers are so pretty. You made such a beautiful table! Love those Charleston plates!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! Your dishes, placemats are perfects.Hugs,Fatima-Scrapart

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your silverware is Reed and Barton Francis the first. It will either have a Lion stamped on the back or say Reed and barton. The Lion means it is older. Michelle Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a soft heart to pick the saddest of the bunch, but what a beautiful color they are! And they certainly inspired a pretty table. Your china is so dainty! I always like Lenox. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful table-the flowers make is even more so. thanks for sharing with us-I need to go to Wal-Mart more often, especially flower day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful table! Getting something free from Walmart is worth a celebration! Your china and silverware are both beautiful patterns. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew it was lenox before you told me!!! It strange how you can just tell. Love the Charleston pattern, it is beautiful. I LOVE your silver champagne glass (tee hee hee!!) I am coveting those placemats, they are divine. Thanks for leaving such a sweet comment, glad i found your blog! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful setting, the flowers and the runner are gorgeous!!!

    Hugs
    Charo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful table, I like every single bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your wedding china! The flowers are really pretty against your blue walls.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did these flowers proud! I love the way you mixed formal with casual. It makes for a most inviting table!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your table is so pretty, and I love your wedding crystal. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is taking me forever to get through the tablescapes this week. I guess I'm saving some of the best for last! Love your pattern and remember it well from my own 80s wedding season. It was one of my top choices. I went with Shenandoah by Noritake instead. But heck, I'm from Georgia, not SC, so I'm probably forgiven.

    Your table is lovely as are all of your wedding patterns. I enjoyed looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great table! Love all your wedding choices...I know you have enjoyed using all the special pieces. The flatware, stemware, and dishes are so complimentary to each other...they are gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing and dropping by to visit.
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful tablescape! Your china, crystal, and silver are all so pretty!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can't beat a bargain like FREE! Very beautiful centerpiece. I really like your candlesticks and how you changed them using your votive cups. Pretty. And I agree with you that you gave your table a soft comfortable touch with the tray and other things you added.

    Elisabeth @ Treasuring the Moments

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!