Monday, August 9, 2010

Enjoying the Steps

Boy do I have a major Metamorphosis to share with you today! Sorry I don't have any before photos but I am 100% sure you will be able to envision them.  I will try to keep the wordiness of this post to a minimum but in order to understand how big of change this is you'll need to know the whole story.


This is a post of my mothers new stairs down to her dock.  She lives on the beautiful shores of Lake Murray, that you have seen in many of my boating posts.  This has been a long awaited transformation, since she built her home back in 1991.  That's almost 20 years ago, 19 to be exact!  This is how her house now looks as you approach it from the water.







Her actual dock was built many years ago.  We have spent many weekends swimming and launching off of this dock.  We have also spent many weekends hiking treacherously up and down that hill.  It has always been a test of endurance in more ways then you can imagine.



My mother is not one to make a decision lightly or to be easily coerced.  She is a strong independent woman who has raised 4 children as a single divorced woman while maintaining a life long career as a psychologist.  She thinks things through very thoroughly, unlike me who is prone to snap decisions.


For years she has talked about building these stairs.  We have discussed these stairs more times then I care to recall.  But with her daily work schedule and life priorities it has never came to be until now.  She has always adored her quaint little home at the lake in the woods amongst the trees.  Her home has been a retreat for her from a life time of service to others.  Her weekends have always been about relaxing and unwinding quietly and free from the usual worries of yard maintenance.  So hopefully now you can imagine how difficult a decision it was for her to disrupt this environment even for her own convenience. 


She is now in her mid 70's and only just retired last year.  I was thrilled to see a small deck was included at the bottom of these stairs.  This space will be a key spot for her to sit and relax to enjoy the water closer without getting into the sun.



It is just large enough for a small seating arrangement.  Already she is making decisions about what furniture to buy.  She was actually even going out to look at a table and chairs set the day we stopped by, and asked me if I thought that was a good idea to do now rather then waiting until next season.  Of course, Mom go for it!  I know she already knew that but needed the encouragement too.  I've already told her what I thought would be best but she has her own ideas, imagine that.  LOL!  I will just be thrilled for her to have a place to sit down here.



But not nearly as thrilled as I am that she now has a way to get down here safely.  Aging brings about many changes for all of us.  This hill has always been a challenge, but increasingly more difficult as each of  us climb the hill, not only literally but figuratively speaking too!





Of course my youngest had no problem sprinting to the top to greet his grandmother.



Sorry for the blurry photo earlier, maybe this one will be a little clearer.  Here is my beautiful mother at the very top of the stairs before coming down to greet us.



As you can see from the top looking down this photo shows you how steep this hill was.  She decided for now she did not want a railing on both sides.  This way it is more open to the woods.



As you descend the stairs you get a better look at the smaller deck below before the dock.  It was built around the existing dogwoods. 



This sacred tree will offer much needed relief from the heat as well as a place of sanctuary for my mother and the rest of us.

 
It has been a long awaited arrival, these stairs.  What a journey it has been to get here!
I am reminded that for some like me, change comes easy.  For others it is a lifelong process, filled with many steps to enjoy along the way!

Thanks for visiting today and I hope you'll stop by 
 
for Met Monday
and more amazing stories of change.

Mary




12 comments:

  1. Just simply gorgeous! You have me sighing with longing here. Enjoy the steps, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary! Oh, I'm so proud for your mother getting these wonderful steps built! They look great and what a gorgeous view she has!! Looks like she is really very happy!! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven on earth! What a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary, they are wonderful! I totally understand about the trek up the hill at the lake! I have done it many times while on vacation. Even sometimes the stairs are more than I can handle!!! I am so glad she decided to do it because you want her to be safe and to be able to enjoy it!

    She looks quite feisty to me!! I am sure she is going to enjoy retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, she's going to have a lovely view from that deck down by the lake! That would be my dream retreat as well - a small house by a lake {and I don't swim or boat, it just seems very calming and restful to me}.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the stairs are fabulous. What a great place to have a small deck too. This looks so peaceful and serene. Good for your mom. I say GO GIRL. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marty,
    That is an amazing transformation! Those stairs look so beautiful and they will be so appreciated by all of you.
    What a gorgeous place to visit and to live!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!!! Those stairs look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lucky she is to live on the water. The stairs are beautiful and I know that she is happy with the outcome.

    Stopping by from Met Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect spot! I love how her house is tucked into the woods and the deck just looks like it should be there (and much safer to boot!). Your mother is just a beautiful woman. What a blessed lady to have you for a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is something else Mary, that it took her that long to make that decision! I know all too well all the steps some of my friends have...it is a great work out though...you Mom has a great set up...and boy is she still spry you can see why she waited so long to retire:) Thanks for sharing, this was great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am stopping by from Southern Comfort in a Northern Life. I am moving to Florence. Do you think I will like that area? I know that it is an hour from the beach and about 80 miles from Columbia.

    My husband is already there and my son leaves on Saturday. I have to get the house listed etc. and then I will make a trip down to look at house. I would love to live on a lake. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!