Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My Thrifty China

Please join me and the other wonderful bloggers at these two party's today. 
and
http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/ for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

It seems I just can't get enough of this fabulous china!  Yesterday I had to take my son out for an eye appointment and last minute school supplies.  While were out that way, my mind started screaming you must go back and get those other pieces!  You will not have this opportunity again!  So back to the resale store I went with my helper and picked up some more china to complete the set.

I got the 3 extra salad plates I had not originally wanted.   They really aren't in that bad of shape (for the price I'm paying at $2.50 each) and as it turns out they are stamped the same as the other ones I have. 


You see, there are two different stamps that I have seen on the Franciscan Ivy patterns so far.  Most everything I have is stamped like this;


However some pieces, (my salad plates) are stamped like this;

I didn't realize my salad plates do have the different stamp until I got home the other day after noticing they were different in the store, so that's also why I originally did not get them the other day.

The different stamps represent the age of the plates I guess, since this pattern has been around for so long there must have been a change in the stamping pattern.  Anyway, I decided to add the sellers last serving bowl, sugar bowl, and gravy boat to my collection. 




Serving Bowl came to $7.50


Sugar bowl came to $6.74


Gravy boat came to $6.23


This was a freebie!  It had a tag if you need it, take it!  I think she must have just put that out cause I surely would have noticed it before!  I am thinking I may need it!


Now all this adding on has caused me to rearrange the kitchen china cabinet again!  I am so running out of space and really want a hutch for the dining room, but I'll have to wait a bit longer on that.
Here's my newest swap around.













While we are looking at china cabinets let me show you one of my antique pieces in the dining room.  I use this as a hutch to store my crystal.  It really is a desk!  I like the way this looks in here and currently really need the additional storage.




On the top two shelves I keep my wedding crystal


And the bottom two shelves are filled with various other crystal items.


As you can imagine I am constantly changing out the vignettes on the top of this.

This is the way I have this set up right now.  I'm not crazy about the candle up on the little shelf.  I always feel like I need to display something on that shelf but can never find quite the right look.  It usually is empty, which works too.


On the very top I have a serving bowl, coffee pot and smaller blue bowl.  I also added my sailors most recently in the background.  I love the colors of this vignette!  One thing that has stayed the same for years on this piece is my peacock feathers.


For some reason I just absolutely adore them on this piece of furniture.

Hope you enjoyed visiting with me today and seeing my latest thrifty finds and a few vignettes.
Please be sure and leave me a comment if you come by!
Have a great day!
Mary

16 comments:

  1. The china is gorgeous! I think you were right for going back for the other pieces...it's so perfect for summer tablescapes! I love the white cabinet it's in!

    Love the desk/cabinet you have your crystal in, too. The etched glass is beautiful. What a great idea for storage! And you have a lovely collection of crystal, lucky girl.

    Hope you are having a happy week! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you walk in there now, do they say, "Hi Mary!"? ; ) I love the ivy set ~ is there a teapot that goes with it as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your china.And i love the cabinet filled with all that beautiful china. It looks gorgeous....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new china and your kitchen cabinet is gorgeous. You have everything displayed so beautifully. You really have been lucky to find so many pieces of that pattern. Gorgeous. I use to have a desk similar to the one in your dining room. It is perfect to display your crystal. I love your vignettes you've created on it and the colors that you've chosen. Just wonderful and such a beautiful piece. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful!! The ivy looks so nice! You have it arranged perfect! The cabinet is just gorgeous! Love it all! Well worth the price!

    If you don't mind my asking, what time did you post this? I have a new post that shows on my blog but refuses to show in anyone's blog roll or google reader. I deleted the post and created a new one and it still isn't working. So no one is coming by because they don't realize I have a new post! Just curious if yours posted timely because I see it on my blog roll!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The china is such a pretty color:) You have a lot of it too.

    The house in Florence is to much but it sure is beautiful. I love it and will go look at it when I move down there but they would have to come off of it a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you display your china. Mine is just stuck in a cabinet for lack of a way to show it off and not have to dust it...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for rambling! I finally got it to update. I kept clicking to update settings even though I didn't change anything and it seemed to work. It's there now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you went back for the pieces because had you not, you would always regret it. Your china cabinet is awesome!!~ I love the piece as well with the peacock feathers and wine glasses..very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing great at finding add-on pieces of your china! It's pretty, and I'm lovin' your antique desk!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you! They are so pretty. Enjoy! La

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see why you wanted those ivy dishes Mary, they are so pretty and look so nice in your hutch!
    And the secretary for your crystal is very lovely, what neat vignettes!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the Franciscan China - I think I have a couple of pieces here and there!
    Love the furniture! Gorgeous patina and displays your collection beautifully.
    Just love your blog, I hope you have a terrific day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mary, I wanted to help you a bit with the markings on your Franciscan Earthenware. When I was in high school in California, my best friends mother worked there, she hand-painted the Desert Rose pattern. I love their dishes!

    They first started producing the Ivy Pattern in 1948 as a new line in their Earthenware Table Ware Collection. The first stamp you showed was used from 1949-1953 and they started using the second one you showed in 1961 or 1962. They used this stamp for quite a while, so it's harder to date those pieces. The other number was a code used to identify the employee who painted the piece and when.

    Hope you find this information useful. You have a wonderful collection of this gorgeous pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a dish fanatic too!! I'll be back to see what else you have to show. I'm your newest follower.
    Have a great week.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!