Friday, November 26, 2010

Counting my Blessings!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoyed precious time with your families.    We had quite an unusual Thanksgiving this year, but I have never been more thankful in my life.

We had my family over as planned, minus a few, and my son who lives in Charleston.  He didn't make it home because he is a young chef in school and working in one of Charlestons best restaurants.  I knew that was coming!  We had a very nice early evening dinner after delivering dinner to my in laws earlier in the day.  The cancer has progressed making it very difficult for my FIL to get out, since we are the closest of all the children it was an honor to be able to take it to them.  Only we weren't expecting to be delivering this meal with our youngest son on crutches.

Unfortunately our youngest son was involved in a very terrible automobile accident on Tuesday afternoon.  Four teenagers were involved in both cars.  It was an absolute miracle that all four teens are okay!  The wreck was only a few miles from our home.  Fortunately, I was home and able to get there right away.  Seeing your child pulled out of a car that has to be pried open by the fire department, strapped and braced onto gurneys and put into an ambulance along with two others is just plain terrifying!  I am so blessed to be able to say, all three teens were released from the hospital late Tuesday night with minor injures, praise God!  My son who took the brunt of the hit, had several cuts and scrapes from all the glass, bruising and a fractured fibula in his lower leg, thus the crutches.  It is a small fracture and should heal quickly according to the orthopedic surgeon we went to on Wednesday.  He is doing quite well, though yesterday wore him out a bit too much. 

Today I am skipping black Friday shopping and staying home to enjoy my wonderful family and put up the Christmas decor.  I can hardly wait to get started!  I have so much to be thankful for right here at home!  I wanted to share a little of last years decorations with you.  I hope to make some improvements this year but we shall see.  Please overlook the quality of these photos as they were definitely before blogging days.

This was our den last year.  Quite a few things have changed in here this year.

Here's my mantle from last year.  I told you I usually just do berries, I'm rethinking that this year.

Last years tree in the den, hopefully it will look quite different this year.

The dining room is going look quite different this year too, but I do love the way this room looked last year.

I always do a gold and silver and white tree in the dining room.  That will not change this year, but I have a few new things to add to this.

Last years front door.  This is going to be a challenge this year, I haven't even begun to think of what to do here other then a new wreath.

But...this is one thing that I hope will stay the same!  I just love it!

Hope you are enjoying the start of the holidays too!  I surely am!  There is no better way to enter into the holiday season then with a thankful heart.
God Bless!
Mary

18 comments:

  1. Just beautiful and I can't wait to see what you do different, love the outside of you house too!
    So happy that you son is ok, I went thur that too in the early 90"s with my oldest son just a mile from home, that is when I started to turn gray!!!

    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you son is OK! Oh my it is so scary when your child is in an accident like that. Yes you have a lot to be thankful for! I'm going to work on holiday decorations today also! Blessings to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your son and the others are OK. Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear your son is ok! That's terrifying. I can't wait to see your changes to all your dec's this year. Although, I love all the pic's from last year too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear your son and the other kids are okay...how terrifying that must have been...I don't know how I would have done it. I'm glad you were able to have a nice Thanksgiving and definitely, a lot to be thankful for.

    I have a lot of ideas for Christmas decorating...I'm just a little to tired to start today after cooking and entertaining yesterday! I love getting ideas from other blogs as well, so I'll have to do a little visiting!!

    Have a great weekend, Mary!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so thankful that your son and the others survived such an ordeal. So scary. I hope your son heals very soon.

    Your Christmas decor last year was just stunning. Love the green tree and the white one in the dining room is gorgeous. Outside looks like a winter wonderland. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, that had to have scared you to death getting that call about the accident. I am so glad they are all o.k. Your house looked so pretty last year. You have a regular and skinny tree just like me. I don't know if I am doing two. Sometimes I just do one or the other and not both. We will see. I will pull all the stuff out later this weekend I guess. Still have the grands here till Sunday. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear that all of the kids are ok, not a phone call anyone wants to get! I'm working on my tree and decorating too, it's always fun to get everything out-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even imagine the horror you must have felt. I'm so glad everyone involved will be ok and injuries were not worse. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so glad everyone was ok!! We are often so blessed and if we don't stop to think about it we often miss the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad your son is alright! I'm sure your heart skipped a few beats!
    Well, I just can't imagine your Christmas decor being any prettier than this!! But I'll be back to see!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are blessed, you lived through every parents worse nightmare!! So, glad everyone involved is OK! Your house is gorgeous, your trees look like they were professionally decorated. This will truly be a Merry Christmas.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy your child and the other kids are going to be ok..

    I like your former holiday decor and I know this year will be wonderful.

    Holiday Hugs
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Mary I felt the terror, as that is one of my biggest fears with my boys and driving someday. Thank GOD he is OK as well as the others. So glad you were able to bring your in=laws their meal, nice to be close. Your home looked fabulous, I bet this year it will be even better, ya know we blog now:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad your son is o.k. What a scary scary thing! We just got home from Tennessee with my dad and step mom. I was so glad to be able to spend some time with them! Can't wait to see what you do this year! Things have changed a bit haven't they?!? You will make it beautiful as you always do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Mary,
    That is so scary! Every parents nightmare. I am so happy your son will be ok. Isn't is a wonder we ever let our kids out of the house.
    Yikes!
    Take Care and last year's home was just stunning!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Boy, you did have a lot to be thankful for this year! I was so glad to read that everyone is okay and that your son will heal quickly.

    Isn't it funny how blogging has turned us all into better photographers and how we don't put off projects as much as we used to, just so we can post about it?

    I must tell you that I love the flat red balls with the lime green ribbon on a previous post! Those are the cutest!

    Have a wonderful time decorating, everything looked gorgeous before, can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve this year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah -Mary you certainly do have so much to be thankful . I can't even imagine the pain your heart was feeling when you saw your son and his friends being cared for by the emergency team.I always beleive mother's prayers "get shot straight up " to our heavenly Father -Having your son notneeding admitted to the hospital, kind of puts everything else in perspective -huh?

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!