Sunday, November 28, 2010

Christmas is Coming!

Thank you all for your kind words about my son's accident.  You are right, it was every parents worst nightmare, but praise God all are well and on the mend!   Last night the two girls that were with him in the car, came over to visit my son awhile. In typical teenage girl fashion there was lot's of giggling and laughing, music to my ears!

On the other hand, I have been a very busy Santa's helper this weekend.  For Metamorphosis Monday and Seasonal Sunday, I want to show you how our den has transformed into a colorful Christmas Candy Land.  I'll just focus on the tree and mantle for this post.

Here's a wide shot of our den all trimmed out for Christmas this year.

My tree is all trimmed out this year too!  I added some of my new candy decor along with years and years of collected favorites and handmade pieces from my children and myself.

I just love the tulle ribbon I purchased this year from Hobby Lobby.

I still have yards and yards of this ribbon.  I love how soft it looks on the tree.

The stockings are hung by the chimney with care.

These elves are my newest addition that were hidden in the bag two posts back.  I just love elves!  There is something so magically delightful about an elf.  I have several old elves from years ago, I could do a post on elves alone.  I am happy to see that elves have started to make a comeback over the last few years.  There are some really wonderful elves I have seen at Michael's this year.  I will have to wait for a 50% off sale on those.  I like how these elves add something magical to our old stockings.

The elves in the middle are not orange that's just more of my fancy camera work.  They are really a very bright red with lime green.  They are sitting on my sons stockings.   Yes, I did cross stitch these stockings for each of my sons.   I still have the pattern too.  I made each one their first year of life.  I don't know how I found the time to do it now, but I surely did then.  I remember it was so important to get them done in time.  I keep thinking I want to add a cuff on the top with their names embroidered but then it would cover up the names I cross stitched.  It sure would look a lot better though.

Here's a close up of my candy mantle.

This photo shows a few other things I already had that I made years ago.  To the left is a piece of hard candy that I made from styrofoam, glitter paint and plastic wrap.  In the center of the ribbon are some old red Christmas balls that were loosing some of their red paint. So, one year I decided to jazz them up.  Would you believe I sat down and painstakingly glued sequins all over these old balls?  Well I sure did, and I'm so glad I did!   I just love those sequined covered balls ever year I pull them back out.

My tree is topped with three beautiful copper stars.  They have started to age and turned slightly green now too.  I bought these three stars separately at a little shop in Charleston while visiting my SIL one year.  They are hand made and were sold separately.  I used copper wire to attach them together and they sit on a wooden stick we notched out to hold them.  There is a larger one in the middle and two smaller ones on each side.  I love having a star on top of the tree.  Because of the trio on my star, it reminds me personally of the father, son and holy ghost.  I added berries, green curly thingies and bows all around it this year too.


Oops!  I almost forgot to show it all lit up!

Can you tell what type of lights I use?

That's right!  I just have to have colored lights in my den. 
You should really see this tree in the evening.  Love it!

Well there you have it!  That's the beginning of Christmas at our house.  I still have 3 more trees to go.  Whew!  Don't worry only one more large tree though.

What about you?  Are you getting into the Christmas spirit yet?  I sure hope so, it will be here before you know it, so why not enjoy it as long as possible.  I plan too!


Thanks for visiting today!  Have a great Sunday and Monday!  LOL!
Mary

41 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty it all looks Mary! I love your tree and your mantel is just so cute! Nice job, glad to hear your son is on the mend and laughing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You did a great job decorating your den for Christmas! I have those same elves - we just love them!! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, everything looks so pretty with the colorful lights and ornaments adorned everywhere. My guests just left so now I have to get dressed and clean up a little and then pull my Christmas stuff out and see what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary! It is so beautiful! I love all the candy and your tree and mantle are gorgeous!!!! So whimsical and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree is wonderful. I am so happy your son is okay. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your tree...I don't think you could fit one more ornament on it!! And I love the ribbon all around~I am no good at that! Love your handmade stockings, too!

    The elves are darling and you had a very sweet {!!} idea of adding the candy to your mantelscape! Beautiful job, Mary!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mary! Im your newest follower and Im CRAAAAZY about your blog! You are SOOOO my cup o tea!!! I LOVE your christmas decor! I would LOVE it if you would visit my 14 days of xmas trees...and my giveaway :)

    *ENTER CUSTOM FLORAL Give-Away Here *

    blessings xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tree is gorgeous and I love that you use ornaments from year to year that have such wonderful meaning to you. That is always my favorite kind of tree. Your mantel is fabulous. Love the candy theme, and the stockings for your sons are the most precious of all. Beautiful decor. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your den is just stunning! Your tree is drop dead gorgeous. I love the color! My word, how did you find time to do those stockings? They're an amazing keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, I decorated yesterday! I think a candy tree is so cool! It looks like it was professionally decorated!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your house all Christmas gussied up! You are wonderfully creative and I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tree and mantel are beautiful -we use colored light too -we had always used white lights and then our sons said you know colored lights look so much more festive -like a party's goin' on :-) can't argue with that !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your blog too.
    Could you share where you got the purple grape ornaments on the tree, they are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty Mary! I love the candy theme. In our house the candy room is the kitchen. Your whole den is just lovely. Good news about your son, that was wonderful to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just now finding out about your son, Mary. It's good to hear he is on the mend!

    I love your candyland room. So cute and bright and Christmasy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anon! I have had those grapes for so long I cannot remember exactly where they came from. They may have been from Michaels, but I am thinking they came from a store we used to have around that is no longer in these parts..Ben Franklin Crafts? I am sorry I can't remember but they are similar to some I have seen at Michaels and AC Moores. Hope this helps some!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is one of the most beautiful Christmas trees I have ever seen. I love everything about it! THe rest of the room looks amazing too!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm ready to really get cracking now. This is so pretty to me that it makes me want to decorate more.

    My very favorite part is the elves. My mother had some similar when we were growing up. Yours are whimsical and make me feel all nostalgic!


    And... sorry to say that I didn't know about your son's accident! I have been AWOL from the computer almost completely this week because my girls were home.

    I'm praising with you that he's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh .... everything looks so pretty!
    Here's to the holidays~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovin' your fun tree Mary! I use colored lights too, they just make me happy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, it looks so nice! I love the traditional colors at Christmas and your decor fits the bill:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tree is beautiful. Love the whole look.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your tree is so fun and whimsical! I love the elves hanging on to the stockings! Very fun!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your tree and mantle look great, Mary! Love the tulle, I used a little bit on my tree this year, too.

    Sorry to hear your son was in an accident; mine had one on Friday on his way to work, when someone cut in front of him, spun out and went through a chain link fence. Thank God, he was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I love it! And glad your son's on the mend. Your family certainly deserves that Candy Cane beauty surrounding you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, so I love the candy decorations. So cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love the candy theme!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh it's so pretty Mary!
    Your tree just glitters and your mantel is gorgeous!
    Kudos to you on the beautiful decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your home is fabulous and your holiday decorations have such a fun whimsy to it! I've tried to use the tulle ribbon but could never get it to look right but I think you figured it out..... use two colors together. Fabulous!!!

    I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  30. My goodness, what a gorgeous tree! I have one word for you...Exquisite!! I adore the candy cane theme, why didn't I think of that? ;) Well done, sweetie! XO ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  31. With everything on your mind it's astonishing to have the tree done too. It's a real beauty and the candy theme for the den is perfect. Hope you'll drop by and see our Christmas mantels. We're early this year. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like your tree and Christmas decoration, so beautiful, bravo:))
    Greetings from Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks very nice. Your tree is decked out to the max! The Bavarian Christmas linky party is now open-won’t you come and join us at http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/2010/11/1st-christmas-linky-party-at-dobermans.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love your tree! It is so fun and cheerful looking ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mary, your decorations are wonderful! Looks like Candyland! I love the ribbon you bought and your mantel!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Mary, Your tree is beautiful and I love your candy themed mantel! Gorgeous!! Thanks so much for posting my Holiday Decor party button. I hope to see you there.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantasy land.. Love your cheerful holiday room.. No one could walk in there and not feel the spirit of Christmas...

    Holiday Hugs
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  38. First of all Mary praise God your son is going to be okay. What a nightmare for all of you and the other teenagers! You are right it is a parents worse nightmare.
    Now let me comment about your tree and mantle. Mary they are just lovely. I don't think I have ever seen a tree outside of a store decorated so prefectly. Wow I hate to ask how long it took you to do this. It is beautiful. Love how you used the mantle too. The ribbon is really really pretty and ties it all together.
    Sure wish you could stop by my ole farm house and help me. Bring those darlings Elves too.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow...wish I was decorated. Love the beautiful and whimsical look...fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love, love, love your decorations! I can see you put many hours of time into it. Your den looks so cozy with the tree lit. :) I still find all colors of lights more beautiful.

    When my 3 daughters were young, I always worried until they walked back into the house. So, I understand what you mean about the dreaded phone call. I'm glad your son is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you so much for participating in Seasonal Sundays! I'm glad to be part of your celebration of the season.

    Your tree and mantel are amazing. I do hope your son is OK.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!