Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Blessing of Our House

Today I am attending the "How I met My House Party" at: http://oursuburbancottage.blogspot.com/

We met our current house 7yrs ago this past March at a very difficult time in our lives. We were renting a house from some friends of ours who had moved upstate after selling our “dream” home that we built ourselves. The area we built in rapidly developed from a more rural area to a major suburb, sadly changing the course of our dream. After several attempts to bid on a house on the opposite side of town that met our requirements we were beginning to loose heart after rapidly being outbid each time. This was in 2003 and it was a sellers market in the area we wanted to purchase. Remember the days?

 
That January, 2 weeks before closing on the sale of our dream house, my sister died in a car accident.  This was a very difficult time in my life.  I was trusting God would see us threw it all and was grateful to have our friends home to be our refuge.  After a few months I was ready to start looking again.  I felt like I knew every house that was out there on the market in this area.  I searched the Internet daily and made the 45 minute drive out as often as possible while the boys were in school.  I had every real estate flyer around, and still nothing that felt like it was going to be a good match for us.  My heart was heavy for my personal loss as well as the loss of our dream home.  I even questioned if we had done the right thing.




Then one day I picked up another real estate guide to thumb through yet again.  I was rapidly flipping the pages when I spotted our house.  I recognized it immediately as one in the area we had been looking at, near the sailing club.  I called my husband to tell him about it and he recognized the sellers names as someone who had once been a coworker.  The owners built several homes that they lived in for a few years and then sold.  Our house was only 2yrs old at the time.  We immediately set up a time to go out that day and I was so excited.  The house had just came on the market that day and the sellers were surprised that the add had already been in the real estate guide.  They hadn't even put out a "for sale" sign yet.




These are photos from summer of last year

 On the drive over I prayed for God to let me know without a doubt if this house is the one for us.  Our old home had a built in china cabinet in the dining room and I even actually prayed, "God, let there be a place for me to put my china in this house".  I walked in to this house and it immediately felt right to me, and would you believe there was actually a built in china cabinet.  It's not in the dining room but was in the kitchen instead and I couldn't help but smile. 


 By that afternoon we had written a contract and put it in the sellers hands.  It all seemed great and I was thrilled.  Then that evening the realtor called and said that someone had come later that afternoon and outbid us.  Unfortunately we had failed to get a signed contract, and truly thought we had already had the house.  I was devastated. How could this have happened when we gave them a full price offer?  I could not believe it and furthermore I was heart broke.  I just knew this was to be our home.  I cried all night and could not sleep.  I woke up and prayed very earnestly to God.  I asked him why did I even have to see it if I was not going to have it.  I was so upset!  Then I began to pray that the buyer would have buyers remorse and back out of the deal.  The next day the realtor and I talked about revisiting other homes and how disappointed he was too that this had turned out this way.  By that afternoon I was feeling quite discouraged and upset when the realtor called again and said you are not going to believe this.  He said, the buyer had called the sellers and told them she wanted out of the contract.  That she could not sleep that night and that God had told her, " This is not the house for you."  This is no joke, can you imagine what I was thinking?   My prayers had been answered!  I could not believe it, and just knew the house was ours then, but the realtor had more news.  The sellers did not immediately take our old offer as they still had other offers to consider and instead relisted the house and were requesting a 48hr period to consider all offers.  After rewriting a new contract and anxiously waiting all weekend the news finally came that we got the house. 



This is how are house looks today.



 It is not a floor plan I would have ever built and have always said I would never want to live in, but it is a floor plan very similar to our friends house that we rented.  There have been several changes we have made and many things I would someday love to change. 

 One thing that has not changed, is that it has always felt like HOME.  We love our neighbors and the area we are in tremendously, and have never wavered on that for the last 7 years.  We are truly blessed!   I know in my heart that God was in the details for us on this house, right down to even preparing our hearts for the style of this home. 

It's very long, I know.. but that's our story!
Thank you for your time to read this and I'd bet you there are many other similar stories out there where God was in the details.  I hope you can understand why I was so thrilled to see this meme party, and to be able to share my story with you.

18 comments:

  1. What a bitter sweet story!~ I love to read how people bought their homes. I am so sorry to hear of your tragic loss of you sister, that really was sad to hear. I have a feeling not only God was in the works for you but so was she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer! Thanks for sharing.
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. I've been looking at the homes all you gals from the States own, and there really is a huge difference in style between the US and here in Canada. Your homes seem to have so much style and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful story and God is still in control!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story. I agree with Debbie. God played a huge part there with a little help from your sister. So glad you found your dream home. It is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister but am thrilled that you have found a home that you truly love! I hope you have many happy years there!

    Thank you for your kinds comments on my house post and for posting about my giveaway!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for such sweet,kind and complimentary words. You really are some of the nicest people! :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by, we have similar house stories, as in God was definately doing something for us. I loved your story, and it was so not too long! :) Beautiful house and yard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful how the Lord always puts us exactly where we are suppossed to be, even if we don't think so at first. He is so faithful to answer our prayers. Your home is gorgeous and such a blessing you are so happy there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice story and your home is lovely :)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful home. I love the bg yard too. What a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear of the loss of your sister. Your home is beautiful. I'm going to look around now

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet story! I love your porch in the front and deck in the back, gorgeous! Enjoy your day!
    Take care
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful story. My sympathy on the loss of your sister. Your house is lovely and even better is that you and your family made it a great HOME! I am going to follow your blog for future stories! Thanks. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your house story with a happy ending! It is really beautiful I can see why you fell in love with it.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the story about finding your home. I too found my home after the loss of a family member. It helped bring me out of my severe depression. I adore South Carolina. If I could live anywhere I wanted...it would be Charleston. But alas, I'm stuck in OKC. Please come by and read my story about my house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful home!!I'm so happy it's yours......Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful home. It looks so lovely. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!