Sunday, March 21, 2010

MM - Kitchen Island Redo

I am participating in Metamorphasis Monday today for the first time ever.  Please take a moment to check out my blog and others like it showing before and after photos here at the following link...


We have lived in our home for almost 7 years now this coming May.  I love my kitchen with it's very large kitchen island.  When we purchased the house from the previous owners the kitchen island was painted white and looked much like it does in the photos below, with the exception of the current hardware and countertop.
I have always thought this island needed a little more PIZAZZ! 
 From the day we bought this house, I suggested to my husband we should add more details with moulding and really make it fantastic!    He agreed, but, like most people, other priorities in life take over.


  The first thing I did was to change out all hardware in the entire kitchen.   I fell in love with these wrought irons drawer pulls for $1.99 each from, The Closeout Company.   That was a deal considering I needed 25 drawer pulls total.  For the knobs I chose glass in a crystal ball shape, and  I only needed 29 of those!

 
 Soon more time passed and in a haste to do something I painted our island the green you see pictured here.

 I came across a $1.00 pint size can of "Oops" paint at lowes.  That's a custom mix that someone had made that they did not like and returned.  I always monitor the "Oops" shelves for colors I like and great deals on paint.  I have been known to buy paint longgg before I know what I'm going to use it on.  Really!    Anyway, painting my island was a welcome change that I enjoyed for a time. 
Eventually, we had to replace a cracked sink in the original solid surface counter top.  A solid surface counter top has a moulded porcelin sink and can be quite costly to repair or replace. Big $$$!  After checking out all options and to my extreme delight would you believe it really wasn't that much more to do granite. 
As you can see our large L shaped Island was quite nice and the center hub of our family life
 but still I wanted more...so

After many years of waiting... my husband and I finally found the right time to complete this project.  He was the carpenter and I was the painter and our Island now finally looks finished to me.   I love the details!
Because our kitchen has a cottage feel, we knew beadboard would be a perfect fit.  What do you think?  Isn't is just soo inviting?

For those of you who are on RMS, yes, you have seen this before.  Sorry for the repeat but it's my most recent project completion and I really wanted to use it for my first MM.  Yay!

I do hope to find another pair of barstools in black with a different look and style but that's probably another MM in itself.  Stay tuned.

Now completed, I love how the black countertop feels new to me again against the contrast of the white paint.  I especially love how warm and welcoming this Island feels the minute you see it.  Everyone always gathers here and we are happy to be able to finally say we did it! 

Well, that's the story of my Island redo, hope you enjoyed the history of my long wait.  Some things really are worth waiting for!   Leave a comment if you please and let me know what you think? 

7 comments:

  1. That looks great!~ Happy Monday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the beadboard! That looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! Thanks so much for stopping by! I too love the beadboard...it looks great! As for the photos, I just go to the link for that post and copy it, then click on customize and add a gadget with that link and a photo. I"m sure there is a better, easier way, but it's the only way could figure out to do it! Welcome and I'll definitely be back:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bead board. Just the right look. Why don't you paint the stools black until you can get new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your island turned out beautifully! I love the beadboard and all of the pretty new hardware you added! And I'm sure you are loving your new countertops, they are gorgeous!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found myself whistling and listen to your lovely music! That napkin centerpiece, very clever my friend!!~Happy Spring.....I have been outside all day, it's cold but sunny and blue skies! Have a great day! What a wonderful world indeed! I had to post over here, it would not let me on that page:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!