Wednesday, March 31, 2010

In Celebration of Easter

Preparing for Easter is one of my favorite holidays to plan for.  I have been especially blessed this year with the time to make sure I have the details in order.  I am celebrating this year with my side of the family.  They are not the types to be concerned with china and decorating but they are kind enough to indulge me in my whims.  That's what families do, they accept who you are and make the best of it.   They understood along time ago that it makes me happy to focus on the pretty things in life.  There are so many situations and sorrows that can steal your joy, but focusing on good things can keep you in the spirit.  I am blessed to be able to serve my family in a way that I think they are worthy of, so here is a vision of how we will be dining this year.  I am linking with Susan at http://www.betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/ for Tablescape Thursday this week, please enjoy others by following the link above.

I am very pleased to be able to include pieces from two of my grandmothers, in my table setting this year.

I am using my paternal grandmothers china and my maternal grandmothers crystal.

As you can see, those sweet little duckys made it to the table this year.



This was Grandma Millie's crystal.  My grandfather, her husband, was employed by the U.S. to entertain dignitary visitors to the Panama Canal as it was being built.  My grandmother was a very important part of that position back in the day.  She played the piano for guests and entertained beautifully.  To think that she may have used these while entertaining in their home makes me very happy.  I love how they are very simple and etched in gold, something we rarely see or use these days.

This is my grandmother, NaNa's china.  It is from China.  Brought back by her husband during WWI.  They were simple farmers in South Carolina descended here from Germany.  They settled into an area here that was named Dutch Fork after the German descendents that inhabited the area.  The original area of DF is now under water after a lake was built in the area dividing my ancestors on several sides.  I love how chipped this china is because my Grandmother believed in using this every Sunday and as often as possible.

I think they would be both be very happy to see their pieces being used and even happier to see how I have decided to use them my own way.


I plan to add some dyed eggs in the center of this bowl  that holds my faux chocolate bunny.  I am looking forward to trying out the Southern Living recipe for speckled tea stained eggs.

The Old brown bunny who lives by the door on my front porch year round is ready to greet our guests.


My front door is subtle but simply announces Easter to all who enter within.

The bunny village rests on our old hutch in the den...

And my newest of favorite Easter decor adorns the fireplace.  These vintage looking bunnies were purchased a few years ago at Ross for a steal of $12.99 each.  They are 26inches tall and utterly creepy according to my husband and sons. I love adjusting thier ears, and the way they look right through you with that creepy bunny  stare.  LOL!

I hope each of you has a very enjoyable holiday celebrating Easter this year. There is much to celebrate even without all the fun pretty things.  It is Jesus who has given us the true reason to celebrate.  With that in mind,  it is my wish to celebrate with all that he has given me.  Those who have come before me and with those that are here before me now.  God Bless each of you!
Happy Easter!

24 comments:

  1. Happy Easter and many blessings to you and your family!~ I just came by a few of you to say this, getting off now:) You can't believe how productive I have been this week...and it feels so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can believe it Debbie, please don't stay away too long, though I really understand. I hope you got a good peek, I've been adjusting photos up until just now. Have a very happy and blessed Easter yourself my new friend. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your china and crystal are beautiful - so is your flatware! Thanks for telling us about them. You have put together a very elegant tablescape - I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful table. It is so nice to be able to use dinnerware from family. I love the colors of the china and those duck napkin rings are just too cute. Have a wonderful time with your family this Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter to you and your family. Your table looks so pretty. I like the chocolate bunny in the middle of the flowers:) I would probably eat him before my guests arrived:)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, from one southern belle to another! I know South Carolina very well, as I have many relatives in Columbia. And I am a proud owner of a Ph.D. from USC! :-) Your dishes from your family have a special place in your heart, and on your table. I share your love for all-things-family, and I am glad I clicked on your beautiful blog tonight. Blessings to you this Easter season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely table...how lucky you are to have your grandmothers' beautiful china and crystal. I think that is one of the prettiest china patterns (and color) I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful table...to have family heirlooms to treasure at the holidays. Have a wonderful Easter!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how special to set your table with heirlooms from both of your grandmothers! I adore that beautiful china -- and love your sweet bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your table looks so lovely and what wonderful memories are there. I adore that chocolate bunny in the arrangement! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are enjoying both your grandmothers' treasure.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful room & how lucky you are to have such gorgeous heirlooms! I'm sure both grandmothers will be smiling down on your family table this Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Easter decor and thank you for letting us share in your memories..

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  14. What for nice heirlooms you got from your grandmothers. The china is absolutely lovely and the crystal is adorable - I am sure your grandmothers would be very proud that you value it.

    Have a nice Eastertime,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. What for nice heirlooms you got from your grandmothers. The china is absolutely lovely and the crystal is adorable - I am sure your grandmothers would be very proud that you value it.

    Have a nice Eastertime,
    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both the china and cyrstal are beautiful! You're very lucky to have such special heirlooms to treasure and share with your family. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie Comalander4/1/10, 12:08 PM

    Happy Easter, Mary! I love your pictures and your table is absolutely beautiful! The picutres look like magazine quality...only better. Great job. I enjoyed visiting your site and reading your creative comments. You are so taltented.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that china is just gorgeous! And using china and crystal from TWO grandmothers is very special. I know they would be pleased! I love your centerpiece -- appropriate to the season and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty! love the napkins and dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful holiday table, just perfect. Having your grandmother's crystal makes it pluperfect!. Please stop by if you have time. Happy Easter. -- Jane F.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mary, you are remarkable! I love what you're doing here! Keep on keeping on! You are so artistic! I love hearing the history of your family and your treasures! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The china and chrystal are just lovely. I, too, believe that china is to be used as often as possible. That's what memories are made of and it makes everything much more valuable. Your table moves me because it its history. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Thank you everyone for all the compliments and such kind words of encouragement. I'm glad you all enjoyed my blog this week and I truly wish each of you a very blessed Easter celebration too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!