Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pawleys Island Beach Home Circa 1945


Hey Yall!  Yes, I am a terrible blogger and I do apologize for my sporadic appearances.  I guess I just feel like I really don't have lot's of new projects and such to share that are very inspiring or anything so it's probably not something you would want to read about anyway.  However, since I have kept this blog going mostly to share and keep track of the goings on in my world I thought I'd share a cute and very vintage beach house that we rented this past week at Pawleys Island SC.  Though I am sure it is not what most of you would like to see and experience in a vacation home, it was filled with so many neat and quirky things that I thought you might like to see anyway, or at the very least at least I have recorded it here on my blog should I care to ever look back to reminisces.   I am sorry to say I forgot to photograph the outside of the house which was also very quirky.  Maybe if we go back to Pawleys any time soon, I'll take a few shots.  Until then you'll just have to enjoy the inside of this very old, circa 1945, original Pawleys Island beach home.

As you walk into the back door of this home you are greeted with a small entry hall that leads toward the family and dining spaces.  The owners have kept this home in it's original state complete with heart of pine everywhere!  It was pretty but the decorator in me was constantly day dreaming about how lovely, cozy and light this home would be with sand colored painted siding.  

As you first come through the back door there is an entry to the right where a very large open and fun kitchen is located.  We ate dinner every night on the round table built into the post in here instead of the dining space.  We loved being inside this spacious kitchen!

There is a double bar on both sides of the kitchen and dining area.

The wood paneling in here was lighter but I still couldn't help but dream again of what color I would paint in here as well.  There was a gorgeous old style ceramic sink along with several open shelving areas for pots, pans, and dishware.

I thought the two large ceramic  flower pots holding utensils was so cute and clever!

The back side of the kitchen was loaded with plenty of light from the all the windows and lots of counter space with cute and clever designated spaces for guests supplies.

The cabinets were painted a shabby blue making their old age rather charming.

Along with messages about where to store your goods inside the cabinets were messages to help remind you where to return things too.  Cute idea!!!

A pair of french glass doors led out  to the long and interesting side porch that was another favorite of ours.

I would have enjoyed a bit more comfortable seating out here but I did find the tables to be very enjoyable for my morning cup of joe with breakfast.

This barn style sliding wall door that led to the front porch was so cool!  Both the hubby and I loved that!

Cute vintage looking gas lanterns that hung from the ceiling were very appealing but... I sure would have adored some ceiling fans out here just a bit more.  Too bad I don't own this house, with all the ideas I had for it!  Haha!

We enjoyed sitting on the joggling board everyday and I was quite surprised to learn my husband had no idea of what this was.  And here I thought I was married to a true southern boy!

We rented this house because it was pet friendly and we could bring our new pup Maizey.  My son also came down for a few days and brought his dog too.  What a treat to be able to take Maizey walking on the beach every morning.

This is the master bedroom located just off the front of the house.  It was a bit small but was able to sport a king size bed and a small bathroom as well.

Surprisingly enough we all slept very comfortably in this house. I wonder if all the hard wood paneling makes it much more sound proof.



This was the center bedroom with a queen sized bed and a bathroom to the right that I forgot to take pictures of.  My bad!

And in the very back of the house is the larger bedroom with another queen and a set of bunkbeds.

This bathroom was original to the house with a few minor upgrades.

I would have loved  to share a few more pics with you of the house, like the rooftop deck that overlooks both the ocean and the inlet rivers behind the house that we kayaked everyday.  Unfortunately, I had this post in draft before finishing it and in the mean time between my computer crashed.  I have just gotten my new laptop up and running and am still in the process of trying to figure out how to retrieve all of my lost stored photos.

That I am sure will take quite a bit of work....so I have decided to go ahead and publish this post to get it out there and hopefully protect it as well.  

Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed your stop at one of SC oldest and most endearing beaches!




3 comments:

  1. How lovely in its vintage glory! I would love to vacation somewhere like that. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cottage and the quirky little details made it even better. I really like how they decorated it with touches for primary colors . . . makes it feel like such a happy place to be. Okay, what is a joggling bench?
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place looks like it was just perfect for an Island getaway. I loved the fun colors and all things with that vintage, eclectic feel. My favorite little detail was the way they labeled the drawers. That's just too cute, and it's practical too!

    And OK, believe it or not I didn't know what joggling board was. I sort of figured it out by context and picture, but I just googled it to be sure.

    It was nice to see a post from you. I have decided recently that part of my own blog funk was that so many of my favorite bloggers don't post anymore, and I miss the old "community" that I had.

    ReplyDelete

Hi Fellow Dreamers! Blogging is all about sharing. I enjoy reading your comments so please feel free to drop me a comment to let me know your here if you see something you like. Thank you so much!